I Am an Animal
|I Am an Animal|
Ingrid Newkirk with director Matthew Galkin.
|Directed by||Matthew Galkin|
|Music by||James Lavino|
I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA is a November 2007 HBO documentary about Ingrid Newkirk, co-founder of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), and her struggle for animal rights.
I Am an Animal premiered on Monday, November 19, 2007 at 8 p.m. on HBO. The documentary runs for the total length of 72 minutes. It is based in the United States of America. It is categorized by the genres of biography, animals, and social issues.The credits of this documentary include the following:
- Producer - Matthew Galkin
- Producer - Pax Wassermann
- Cinematographer - Jon Furmanski
- Producer - Mikaela Beardsley
- Supervising Producer - Nancy Abraham
- Producer - Steven Cantor
I Am an Animal was directed by Matthew Galkin. The film includes a personal perspective on the life of Ingrid Newkirk and her daily routine of balancing her own life and protecting the life of animals. It exposes her willingness to go to the extreme in her fight for animal rights. Due to her commitment and dedication to the fight for ethical treatment of animals, Ingrid Newkirk illustrates why PETA is one of the most successful animal rights organization. Matthew Galkin was asked in an interview why he chose to film this documentary, and he claimed that it was a classic David and Goliath story of advocating on the behalf of animals. He wanted to raise awareness and encourage animal rights activism.
Ingrid Newkirk is the featured in I am an Animal film, and she plays the main role in the film because she is the cofounder and president of PETA. She is British-born, and it is said that her extreme ideas and actions have been the drive for PETA and what has allowed it to be successful. Newkirk has been a leader of PETA for about 25 years now.
In the sole review on Rotten Tomatoes Harvey Karten of CompuServe notes that the film is a "Nicely modulated doc about Ingrid Newkirk, a passionate advocate for animals and the founder-director of PETA, the largest animal-rights group in America."
- Waldo, Patrick. "I Am An Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA Premieres Tonight". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA (2007)". 2013 The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Lowry, Brian. "I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA", Variety, November 18, 2007.
- "I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA". PETA. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Interview with Matthew Galkin". HBO Documentaries. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA (2007)". IMDb. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Ingrid Newkirk, PETA President". Ingrid Newkirk. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA", HBO, accessed July 3, 2010.
- I Am an Animal at the Internet Movie Database