I Begin to Wonder
|"I Begin to Wonder"|
|Single by Dannii Minogue|
|from the album Neon Nights|
|B-side||"Hide and Seek"
|Released||3 March 2003|
|Format||CD, 12-inch, cassette, digital download|
|Genre||Dance-pop, house, electropop|
|Length||3:41 (album version)
3:29 (radio edit)
|Label||London, Warner, Ultra|
|Writer(s)||Jean-Claude Ades, Dacia Bridges, Dannii Minogue, Olaf Kramolowsky|
|Dannii Minogue singles chronology|
"I Begin to Wonder" is a dance-pop song written by Dannii Minogue, Jean-Claude Ades, Dacia Bridges and Olaf Kramolowsky for Minogue's 2003 album Neon Nights. The song was released as the album's second single in March 2003. The single reached the top twenty in multiple countries, and topped the club charts in the United Kingdom. In 2003, it was certified gold in Australia. "I Begin to Wonder" received positive reviews from music critics, and is considered by Minogue to be her "signature tune". Its futuristic music video, directed by Phil Griffin, features Minogue dancing in a room with the song's title swirling around her in numerous languages.
Background and reception
"I Begin to Wonder" was originally performed by German dance music producer Jean-Claude Ades. Minogue's record label, London Records, played the song for her and she thought that it "could definitely be a pop hit". She approached Ades and asked him if he would be willing to transform "I Begin to Wonder" from a club song to a pop song. Together they added additional lyrics and rearranged its instrumentation. Minogue considers the track to be her "signature tune" and is one of her favourite songs to perform live.
In a review for Musicomh.com, Alexis Kirke described it a "simple but energetic" song with a "striding electro-bass line and some heavy vocal effects". Cristín Leach of RTÉ Entertainment called "I Begin to Wonder" one of the best songs on Neon Nights. MSN Entertainment called the track a "decent slice of sparkly radio pop with big synths and 'sexy' vocals". IBTW created a parody.
The music video was directed by Phil Griffin and filmed in late 2002. The video opens with a scene of Minogue walking down a futuristic hallway covered in photographs used to promote Neon Nights. She is then shown sitting and dancing in a blue room with the song's title swirling around her in numerous languages. The video concludes with scenes of Minogue crouching in a ventilation shaft and cutting her hair.
The music video was released commercially on various enhanced CD single formats. It was also included on The Hits & Beyond special edition companion DVD (2006) and Dannii Minogue: The Video Collection (2007).
"I Begin to Wonder" was officially released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 3 March 2003. The song debuted on the UK Singles Chart on 15 March 2003 at number two. The following week, "I Begin to Wonder" fell to number seven and exited the chart in its eleventh week of release. The track became Minogue's sixth Upfront Club Chart number one in the UK. In Ireland, the track reached number twenty-two on the singles chart. And Number 7 on the Irish Dance Chart  The song was also successful in Europe. It reached the top ten in France and the top fifty in Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.
In Australia, "I Begin to Wonder" debuted at number fourteen on 6 April 2003. It was certified gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association in 2003. On the ARIA end of year chart for 2003, the track charted at number eight on the Dance Singles chart and at number sixteen on the Top Australian Singles chart. In the United States, the song reached number fourteen on the Billboard Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "I Begin to Wonder".
UK CD single #1
UK CD single #2
German/Italian CD single
French CD single
Australian CD single
US CD single
US 12-inch single
End of year charts
The following people contributed to "I Begin to Wonder":
- Dannii Minogue – lead vocals
- Jean-Claude Ades – production, mixing
- Ian Masterson – additional vocal production
- Matthew Donaldson – photography
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2003 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- "Dannographii: Singles: I Begin to Wonder". DanniiMusic.com. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- The Hits & Beyond (CD album liner notes). All Around the World. June 2006.
- Slomowicz, Ron. "Dannii Minogue Interview". About.com. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- Kirke, Alexis. "Dannii Minogue - I Begin To Wonder (London)". Musicomh.com. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- Leach, Cristín. "Dannii Minogue - Neon Nights". RTÉ Entertainment. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Album Reviews: Dannii Minogue: "Hits & Beyond"". MSN. 16 June 2006. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Dannii Minogue - I Begin To Wonder spoof parody". YouTube. 2006-08-07. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Chart Stats: Dannii Minogue - I Begin to Wonder". ChartStats.com. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Discography Dannii Minogue". Irish-Charts.com. eMedia Jungen. 3 November 2008.
- "GFK Chart-Track". Chart-track.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- (French) "Discographie Dannii Minogue". LesCharts.com. eMedia Jungen. 3 November 2008.
- (French) "Discografie Dannii Minogue". UltraTop.be/nl. Hung Medien. 3 November 2008.
- (Dutch) "Discografie Dannii Minogue". DutchCharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- "Discography Dannii Minogue". SwedishCharts.com. eMedia Jungen. 3 November 2008.
- "Discography Dannii Minogue". SwissCharts.com. Hung Medien. 3 November 2008.
- "Discography Dannii Minogue". Australian-Charts.com. eMedia Jungen. 3 November 2008.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Dance Singles 2003". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- 2003 "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 20 Australian Singles 2003". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Dannii Minogue > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 23 July 2009.
- "The ARIA Report!". Pandora.nla.gov.au. 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2003". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "ChartsPlus UK Singles Chat 2003" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "I Begin to Wonder" (CD single liner notes). London Records. March 2003