I Can't Tell You Why
|"I Can't Tell You Why"|
|Single by Eagles|
|from the album The Long Run|
|B-side||"The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks"|
|Genre||Roots rock, soft rock|
|Writer(s)||Timothy B. Schmit, Glenn Frey, Don Henley|
|Eagles singles chronology|
"I Can't Tell You Why" is a song by the American rock band Eagles which appeared on their 1979 album The Long Run. The song was written by band members Timothy B. Schmit, Glenn Frey, and Don Henley. Recorded in March of 1978 it was the first song finished for the album and the first Eagles song to feature Schmit on lead vocals. The studio version became a Billboard Top 10 hit in April 1980, reaching #8 on the Hot 100 and number 3 on the Adult Contemporary chart.
In 1980 the band promoted the song with a music video which featured Schmit on bass guitar accompanied by Frey on the electric piano, Henley on the drums, Don Felder on the electric guitar, Joe Walsh on the organ) and Walsh's touring sideman Joe Vitale on synthesizer. Live versions of the song were released in the 1980 album Eagles Live and 1994's Hell Freezes Over.
Schmit also performed "I Can't Tell You Why" while on tour as a member of Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band in 1992. Their performance of the song was included on the 1993 live album Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band Volume 2: Live from Montreux.
- 7" single (45-1965/AS 12.418/K 12418/E-46608)
|1.||"I Can't Tell You Why"||Frey, Henley, Schmit||4:30|
|2.||"The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks"||Frey, Henley||2:20|
- 7" promo (E-46608)
|1.||"I Can't Tell You Why" (Mono)||Frey, Henley, Schmit||4:30|
|2.||"I Can't Tell You Why" (Stereo)||Frey, Henley, Schmit||4:30|
- In 1985 "I Can't Tell You Why" was covered by American smooth jazz artist Kenny G on his self-titled album.
- In 1993 "I Can't Tell You Why" was covered by American country music artist Vince Gill for the Eagles tribute album Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles. His version went to number 51 on the Hot Country Songs chart.
- In 1995 R&B group Brownstone covered the song on their debut album, From the Bottom Up. Their version reached number 54 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 22 on the Hot R&B chart and number 27 in the UK Top 75.
- In 2001 it was covered by smooth jazz musician Larry Carlton featuring members of the R&B quartet Shai on vocals for his album Deep into It.
- In 2007 American alternative rock band Lazlo Bane covered the song for their 70s covers album Guilty Pleasures.
- In 2009 it was covered by Canadian electroclash duo Chromeo for their DJ-KiCKS compilation.
- In 2012 Chubby Tavares (of Tavares) included a version on his album Jealousy produced by Carla Olson.
- In 2013 American country music duo The Swon Brothers performed a live version of the song during the finals of The Voice, a reality competition show.
- Glenn Frey: lead guitar, electric piano, backing vocals
- Don Felder: electric guitar
- Don Henley: drums, backing vocals
- Timothy B. Schmit: bass guitar, lead vocals
- Joe Walsh: organ, string synthesizer
- Ruhlmann, William. The Long Run at AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 84. ISBN 0898201497.
- "I Can't Tell You Why" at Discogs (list of releases)
- Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles at AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- From the Bottom Up at AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-10-22.