I Can't Wait (Nu Shooz song)
|"I Can't Wait"|
|Single by Nu Shooz|
|from the album Poolside
(original version on Tha's Right)
|Format||CD single, 7", 12"|
|Nu Shooz singles chronology|
"I Can't Wait" is a song recorded by American group Nu Shooz from the album Poolside. The song was originally recorded in late 1984, was featured on the band's now-rare second album Tha's Right the following year, and became a popular radio track in and around the band's hometown of Portland, Oregon. Credits on the back of the single indicate that the Poolside LP was originally to be called "The Point of No Return." The song was remixed overseas, and this new version connected with the rest of the nation. This remixed version is the one that appears on Poolside.
In the United States, the song reached No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart in late March 1986, remaining atop the chart for two weeks. Soon afterwards, the song appeared on the Hot 100 chart, where it climbed to No. 3 in mid-June of that year, and remained in the top 40 for 15 weeks. In the United Kingdom, the song reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart.
The song's American chart run coincided with that of a Stevie Nicks song also titled "I Can't Wait" (a rare incidence of two different songs with the same title charting at the same time). The extended "Long Dutch Mix" contains more samples (such as "c'mon!" from Madonna's "Into the Groove"), and takes the pitchshifting of the chorus even further, creating an eventual "pitchdown" at the ending.
John Leland's writeup in a Spin magazine column wrote about the single, saying: "You can listen to this record as many times as you want and still not have any strong impressions that human beings actually made it. In other words, it's the perfect disco record."
The music video was directed by Jim Blashfield. It contains animations and has a hint of the very surreal. The plot has Valerie Day singing the song sitting at a desk, repairing a coffeepot, while tools and other oddities pass through and out again. Her dog sits nearby, wearing sunglasses.
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|UK Singles Chart||2|
|Austrian Singles Chart||16|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||1|
|Dutch Singles Chart||9|
|French Singles Chart||24|
|German Singles Chart||2|
|Irish Singles Chart||10|
|Italian Singles Chart||9|
|Swiss Singles Chart||4|
In other media
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2012)|
- The intro can be heard in the 2007 UK film Son of Rambow.
- Portions of the intro can be heard in a Powerade Zero television commercial that aired in 2010.
- Briefly heard in the 2010 comedy, Hot Tub Time Machine, when Nick runs out realizing the group is in the 1980s.
- Used in the 2010 film The Switch, and was included on the film's soundtrack.
- Included on the Grand Theft Auto IV soundtrack.
- Used in Season 1, Episode 3 of The Cleveland Show, "The One About Friends" when Cleveland goes shoe-shopping.
- Heard on one of the commercials used for The Big Bang Theory syndication on TBS (TV channel) in the Fall of 2011.
"I'm Not Gonna Let You" by Colonel Abrams
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
March 29, 1986 - April 5, 1986
"Kiss" by Prince and The Revolution
"There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry)" by Billy Ocean
|Canadian RPM number-one single
July 12, 1986
"Who's Johnny" by El Debarge
Cover versions and samples
"I Can't Wait'" was covered in 2002 by the British female R&B group Ladies First. It was a UK Top 20 hit, reaching number 19.
The song was mashed up with Snoop Dogg's "Drop It Like It's Hot" by dj BC in a song called "Snoop's Nu Shooz". It also was mashed up with 50 Cent and Mobb Deep's "Have a Party" on the Statik Selektah mixtape of 2008 called The Empire Strikes Back; the track is titled "I Can't Wait (Have a Party Showoff Rmx)" (feat. 50 Cent & Mobb Deep).
The song was covered by Gavin Castleton for PDX Pop Now Compilation "Let It Rain."
- Nu Shooz- Tha's Right @ the band's website Retrieved 12-3-2011.
- John Leland (May 1986). Singles - Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait". Spin.
- Billboard Hot 100 at billboard.com
- Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at billboard.com
- Billboard Hot Dance Club Play at billboard.com
- UK Singles Chart at chartstats.com
- German Singles Chart at charts-surfer.de
- Irish Singles Chart at irishcharts.ie
- "Tatiana Silva - I Can't Wait". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-02-23.