Chase the Devil
|"Chase the Devil"|
|Single by Max Romeo and The Upsetters|
|from the album War ina Babylon|
|Writer(s)||Lee "Scratch" Perry, Max Romeo|
|Producer||Lee "Scratch" Perry, Max Romeo|
|Max Romeo and The Upsetters singles chronology|
Composed by Perry and Romeo, "Chase the Devil" was released on the album War ina Babylon in 1976. Also in 1976, The Upsetters recorded a version with different lyrics. The track, called "Croaking Lizard" and credited to The Upsetters and Prince Jazzbo, was included in their album Super Ape. Later, Perry made a dub remix of both versions, called "Disco Devil".
In a BBC interview recorded in 2010 Romeo describes the meaning of the song. He explains that the devil is everything negative in our minds, the iron shirt is our strength of spirit that allows us cast out the devil.
- A. "Chase the Devil" – 3:25
- B. "One Step Forward (Oye Oye Reggae)" – 5:00
Use in popular culture
- "Out of Space" by The Prodigy (1992) sampled the song.
- Kanye West has used samples from "Chase the Devil" to produce Jay-Z's hit song "Lucifer", which appeared on Jay-Z's 2003 release, The Black Album.
- The song was featured on the reggae radio station K-Jah West in a popular video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, released in October 2004. The remix "Disco Devil" was featured on the reggae radio station Blue Ark FM in a later game from the same series, Grand Theft Auto V.
- "Iron Shirt" by Dreadzone sampled the song.
- Madness covered the song for their cover album, The Dangermen Sessions Vol. 1, released in 2005.
- Skazi recorded a cover on their album Total Anarchy (2006).
- "Iron Shirt" by The Qemists (2006) sampled "Chase the Devil".
- Earl Sixteen released his version of the song in 2008.
- "Chase the Devil" was also used in the 2011 film Paul.
- In 2010, Dr. Martens included the song as performed by N.A.S.A. in 50 Years of Dr. Martens covers album.
- A sample from the song was used on "Lucifer", a track by Coki, in 2011.
- Azealia Banks samples the song on the track "Out Of Space" from the Fantasea mixtape.
- Uzi Mon, A Bermudian Faux Raggae Artist uses a sample of Chase the Devil in his song, Heaven.
- "Max Romeo - BBC4 interview in 2010". BBC. Retrieved Tuesday, 10 September 2013.
- "Max Romeo / Upsetters, The Feat Prince Jazzbo - Chase The Devil / Croaking Lizard (Vinyl) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- "Chase the Devil / Croaking Lizard by Max Romeo / The Upsetters Featuring Prince Jazzbo : Reviews and Ratings". rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- "Max Romeo - Chase The Devil / One Step Forward ( Oye Oye Reggae ) (Vinyl) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- "Chase the Devil / One Step Forward (Oye Oye Reggae) by Max Romeo : Reviews and Ratings". rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- "Mellow Trax's Sample-Based Music". WhoSampled. Retrieved Thursday, 5 September 2013.
- "Jay-Z's Lucifer sample of Max Romeo's Chase the Devil". www.whosampled.com. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "K-JAH West - Grand Theft Auto - Wiki on Neoseeker". gta.neoseeker.com. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Earl 16* - Chase The Devil (Vinyl) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-10-27.