I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant
|I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||56|
|Running time||21 minutes
|Production company(s)||Mike Mathis Productions|
|Original channel||Discovery Fit & Health
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||May 26, 2009– October 19, 2011|
|Related shows||Teen Mom
16 & Pregnant
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant was an American documentary television series on Discovery Fit & Health and TLC. The series debuted on May 26, 2009 on Discovery Fit & Health. Each episode usually features two or more women who were unaware that they were pregnant until they went into labor.
Generally, the subjects' reasons for not recognizing pregnancy include:
- Mistaking the symptoms for some other condition.
- Believing they were infertile, and thus not considering pregnancy a possible cause of symptoms.
- Not having any of the "traditional" symptoms (weight gain, extended abdomen, feeling of movement in stomach, morning sickness, unusual food cravings).
- Assuming their birth control methods were 100% effective.
- Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy being misinterpreted as a period.
- False negative pregnancy tests.
Production history and cancellation
After four seasons, TLC pulled the series from its schedule on July 15, 2011 citing low ratings. TLC announced in later July that the series would return to finish its fourth and final season on August 17, 2011. The final episode aired on October 19, 2011.
- "Unsuspecting Women Get the Surprise of a Lifetime on Discovery Health's "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant"". thefutoncritic. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Maerz, Melissa (2011-12-23). "'Doctor Who,' 'NCIS,' 'Jaws': Christmas Eve TV marathons guide | Inside TV | EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Breaking News — TLC Pulls "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," "I Kid with Brad Garrett"". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "TLC Premieres & Ratings Highlights". Retrieved 29 December 2012.