I Die: You Die
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
|"I Die: You Die"|
|Single by Gary Numan|
|from the album Telekon|
|B-side||UK: "Down in the Park (Piano Version)"
other countries: "Sleep by Windows"
|Recorded||Rock City Studios, Shepperton, 1980|
|Gary Numan singles chronology|
"I Die: You Die" is a Gary Numan single from August 1980. Released shortly before his fourth album, Telekon, it continued the anthemic style Numan had begun earlier in the year with "We Are Glass". The composer himself described the two singles as "Much the same thing. Both very chorus-orientated with the guitars as the main rhythmic device and the keyboards tinkling over the top".
Lyrically the song was aimed at what Numan saw as an increasingly vitriolic music press:
- They crawl out
- Of their holes for me
- And I die you die
- Hear them laugh
- Watch them turn on me
- And I die you die
- See my scars
- They call me such things
- Tear me, tear me, tear me
The original vinyl single was issued in a variety of different colours. It reached number 6 in the UK charts in 1980 but was not included on the LP Telekon, released the next month; however it did appear on overseas issues of the album, replacing the song "Sleep by Windows". An alternate mix of the A-side was used for the music video and on a limited edition, white-labelled, single release, later included as a bonus track on the 1998 CD re-issue of Telekon. The UK single B-side was a solo piano version of one of Numan's most popular songs, "Down in the Park". In the US, Australia and other countries where "I Die: You Die" supplanted "Sleep by Windows" on Telekon, the latter track was used as the B-side of the single.
Like "We Are Glass", "I Die: You Die" had been premiered live during the final legs of The Touring Principle concerts before being committed to record. It has since featured regularly in Numan's performances and on his live albums. Stephin Merritt from The Magnetic Fields covered the song on the Random tribute in 1997. It was remixed for the 1998 collection The Mix and appears on numerous compilation albums.
- "I Die: You Die" (Gary Numan) - 3:40
- "Down in the Park (Piano Version)" (Numan) - 4:16
- Gary Numan
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|Irish Singles Chart||16|
|American Singles Chart||109|
- Stephen Webbon & Gary Numan (1985). "Complete Gary Numan UK Discography". Record Collector (December 1985, No. 76): p.15
- Telekon remastered at beggars.com
- "Chart Stats - Gary Numan - I Die - You Die". Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- [http:http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BiQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT26&dq=numan+billboard+i+die+you+die+1980&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UEyJUoOIKNKO7Qbp_YGIAg&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=numan%20billboard%20i%20die%20you%20die%201980&f=false http:http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BiQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT26&dq=numan+billboard+i+die+you+die+1980&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UEyJUoOIKNKO7Qbp_YGIAg&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=numan%20billboard%20i%20die%20you%20die%201980&f=false]. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Missing or empty
- Paul Goodwin (2004). Electric Pioneer: An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan