|Single by Metallica|
|from the album Mission: Impossible II Soundtrack|
|Released||May 9, 2000|
|Label||Warner Bros./Hollywood Records|
|Metallica singles chronology|
"I Disappear" is a song by American heavy metal band Metallica. The song was recorded as a contribution to the Mission: Impossible II Soundtrack and reached #1 on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks for seven (non-consecutive) weeks in summer 2000. It does not appear on any of Metallica's studio albums. The song, which won a 2000 Metal Edge Readers' Choice Award for "Song of the Year From a Movie Soundtrack," is the last Metallica studio recording to feature bassist Jason Newsted.
The discovery of an unfinished version of the song in early 2000 on the peer-to-peer file sharing network Napster helped bring the illegal sharing of mp3 files to the spotlight, leading to the lawsuits that eventually brought down the original incarnation of Napster.
Two versions of the single were released, one with just the song, and a second featuring a second, instrumental version of the song. They bear different catalog numbers.
|2.||"I Disappear" (instrumental)||4:26|
- The single incorrectly lists the track lengths as 4:26 and 4:32, respectively.
The music video to the song, directed by Wayne Isham, features the members from Metallica in scenes that reference other movies. Kirk Hammett is in a desert being chased by a plane in a reference to North by Northwest. Jason Newsted is in a mansion struggling against hundreds of people that walk by him, similar to a scene in Brazil. James Hetfield is driving a car down a San Francisco hill, in a chase sequence resembling Bullitt. Lars Ulrich jumps off of an exploding building, similar to the film Die Hard. In between these scenes, the band plays together at the top of a tall rock in Monument Valley, Utah. There are also some takes in between, featuring Tom Cruise climbing on the rock, which is taken from the movie Mission Impossible: 2. The car driven by James in the video is a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro. Upon the video's completion, the car was given to Hetfield as a gift. He later donated the car to the Hard Rock Cafe.
- James Hetfield – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Kirk Hammett – lead guitar
- Jason Newsted – bass guitar
- Lars Ulrich – drums
- Produced by Bob Rock with James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich
- Mixed by Bob Rock
- Engineered by Bob Rock and Brian Dobbs
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||25|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||12|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Canada Rock/Alternative (RPM)||11|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||2|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||14|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||36|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||20|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||35|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||76|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||11|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
- Metal Edge, June 2001
- "Metallica – I Disappear – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Metallica – I Disappear" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Metallica – I Disappear" (in French).
- Canadian Rock peak
- "Metallica: I Disappear" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Metallica search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". Singles Top 60.
- "Metallica – I Disappear – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
"Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down
"With Arms Wide Open" by Creed
|Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks number-one single
June 10 – July 1, 2000
August 5 – August 19, 2000
"With Arms Wide Open" by Creed
"Californication" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
|This metal song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2000s rock single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|