I Do, I Do
|I Do, I Do|
Promotional poster for I Do, I Do
|Written by||Jo Jung-hwa|
|Directed by||Kang Dae-sun|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||[Kim Jong-hak Productions|
|Original channel||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||30 May 2012– 19 July 2012|
|Preceded by||The King 2 Hearts|
|Followed by||Arang and the Magistrate|
|Revised Romanization||A-idu A-idu|
I Do, I Do (Hangul: 아이두 아이두) is a 2012 South Korean romantic-comedy television series, starring Kim Sun-a, Lee Jang-woo, Park Gun-hyung and Im Soo-hyang. It is about a successful shoe designer in her late 30s whose career is sidetracked when she accidentally gets knocked up.
Hwang Ji-ahn is in her late thirties and works as a director of a shoe company. She likes being single and has no plans to get married. Meanwhile, Tae-kang only has a high school diploma but wants a career as a shoe designer. After a one-night stand, Tae-kang gets Ji-ahn pregnant and their lives become entangled. Fighting against rigid social mores, the two of them try to navigate a messy and challenging world. But these two people persevere despite the obstacles before them, searching for true happiness despite living in a society where morally acceptable behavior is in constant flux.
Cast and characters
In her late thirties, she is a director at popular shoe company. To her the world is either black and white while grey areas are unacceptable. She is spunky, curt, authoritarian, hard-charging and susceptible to having hysterical fits when she is under stress. Since she was young, she had an unexplainable affection for shoes. Even when she would just throw on tracksuit pants and wear no makeup, she made sure she always wore the right shoes. Her love for shoes naturally led her to join a shoe company. Working harder and more passionately than anyone else, she was promoted to the position of director. But a one-night stand is about to throw a wrench in her immaculate and perfect life.
In his twenties, he vowed to become rich within ten years. But he only has a high school diploma, works as a seller of counterfeit luxury shoes, and constantly runs away from the police during crackdowns on illicit goods. But he believes that he has to maintain his cool style. And he invests a lot of time on networking to get a big break. By a stroke of luck, he is hired by a chaebol firm as a shoe designer. Compared to the other designers, he has no training, experience or family money. Work becomes a challenge. On top of this, he finds himself entangled with Ji-ahn who is an older woman with a bad temper...
He is a charming gynecologist and highly eligible bachelor. Everybody in his family are doctors and he was under pressure to go to medical school. Although he is in his late thirties, he leads the lifestyle of a typical 20-year-old hipster. So hardly anyone perceives him as a married man who has settled down with a family. He wants to keep dating girls without settling down with one woman. So he has chosen to live as a bachelor. But then he meets Ji-ahn on an arranged date and becomes interested in her when she makes up a story about how she has early menopause to turn him off.
- Im Soo-hyang - Yeom Na-ri / Jang Na-ri
Youngest daughter of the chairman of Hanyoung Apparel. She graduated with top honors from the S-Mode Institute and currently holds the title of vice president at her father’s company. She has pretty looks, a stellar academic background, and a wealthy dad. In effect, she has it all. But she was the daughter of her father’s mistress so she had to live in the shadows while growing up. Deep inside, she has a vulnerable heart but on the surface, she is blunt, cold, feisty and unfazed by anything. Nobody dares to anger her. With her father’s support, she is on course to succeed him as his successor but she finds herself competing with her rival, Ji-ahn. So she plans on getting rid of her at the company.
- Park Yeong-gyu - Park Kwang-seok (Tae-kang's father)
- Yoon Joo-sang - Ji-ahn's father
- Shin Seung-hwan - Lee Choong-baek
- Jo Hee-bong - Seol Bong-soo
- Kim Hye-eun - Bong Joon-hee
- Oh Mi-yeon - Ji-ahn's mother
- Oh Mi-hee - Lady Jang
- Lee Dae-yeon - President Yeom
- Kim Beom-yong - Song Ha-yoon
- Baek Seung-hee - Uhm Yoo-jin
- Kim Min-hee - Ma Seong-mi
- Han Ji-wan - Yoo Da-in
Ji-ahn's extravagant walk-in shoe closet was custom-made for the drama, with the shoes inside plus those located in the character's company and office amounting to a total of 500 pairs of footwear worth ₩120 million.
Ji-ahn's chic fashion style has also become trend-setting, increasing the demand for the brands the character uses in the drama, as well as her bob hairstyle. According to wardrobe stylist Kim Young-joo, some of the credit belongs to actress Kim Sun-a, who gave her input during their fashion concept meetings.
The drama received lower-than-expected ratings with an average of 8.2 percent, according to data compiled by TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics); it remained at the bottom of the Wednesday and Thursday primetime ratings chart throughout the whole 16 episodes.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||30 May 2012||8.2%||9.5%||10.5%||12.4%|
|2||31 May 2012||8.0%||9.6%||9.8%||12.0%|
|3||6 June 2012||9.2%||10.7%||9.8%||10.3%|
|4||7 June 2012||8.1%||9.5%||9.0%||10.3%|
|5||13 June 2012||10.0%||12.1%||10.0%||12.0%|
|6||14 June 2012||9.0%||11.3%||9.2%||10.6%|
|7||20 June 2012||8.2%||9.4%||9.6%||10.4%|
|8||21 June 2012||8.6%||10.2%||8.9%||10.6%|
|9||27 June 2012||8.2%||11.1%||9.2%||10.4%|
|10||28 June 2012||7.8%||9.3%||9.3%||10.5%|
|11||4 July 2012||8.1%||10.1%||8.7%||9.8%|
|12||5 July 2012||8.5%||10.4%||9.1%||10.5%|
|13||11 July 2012||9.3%||11.3%||9.7%||11.0%|
|14||12 July 2012||9.2%||11.0%||8.9%||9.5%|
|15||18 July 2012||8.3%||10.6%||9.0%||9.9%|
|16||19 July 2012||8.1%||9.9%||9.1%||10.0%|
- 꽃보다 그녀 (That Girl Over Flowers) - Yesung (Super Junior)
- I DO - Park Ji-yoon
- 러닝맨 (remastered) (Running Man) - Lee Won-suk (Daybreak)
- 나였으면 (If It Were Me) - Alex Chu
- 처음처럼 (Like the First Time) - Kim Tae-hyeong (EDEN)
- 아이두 아이두
- Victory Jian
- Lucky seven
- 여자, 지안
- Sweet and warm
- Love on high heels
- 캥거루의 사랑
- marcato time
- A pretty girl
- No sense
- Sketch on an easel
- Gloomy day
- 여자로 산다는 건
- tone on tone
- Let me know the secret take1
- something sweet
- Gag duo
- A clumsy day
- Let me know the secret take2
- 데칼코마니 러브
- Hong, Lucia (13 April 2012). "MBC's new TV series cast holds 1st script reading". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Jean (25 May 2012). "Kim, well-shod, chic and ready for her close-up". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (17 May 2012). "Kim Suna, Lee Jang-woo's I Do I Do to air later this month". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "I Do, I Do". MBC Global Media. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (24 May 2012). "Kim Sun Ah Took It Off for Her Bed Scene in I Do I Do". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (19 May 2012). "Lee Jang Woo to Transform Into Romantic Jobless Boy". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (25 May 2012). "Lee Jang Woo Reveals I Do I Do's Secret Weapon". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "From Ob-gyn to transgender rock singer". Korea JoongAng Daily. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (29 May 2012). "I Do I Do Spent 120 Million Won on 500 Pairs of Shoes". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Jeon, Su-mi (29 June 2012). "Kim Sun Ah Crowned Summer Fashion Queen through I Do I Do". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (21 June 2012). "Kim Sun Ah's Trendsetting Fashion Lauded on I Do I Do". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (16 June 2012). "Korean dramas exported across Asia". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- Suk, Monica (20 July 2012). "I Do I Do ends with lower-than-expected numbers". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Ho, Stewart (30 May 2012). "Super Junior's Yesung to Sing for I Do I Do OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (1 June 2012). "Park Ji Yoon to Sing for Kim Sun Ah's Character's Theme Track I Do I Do OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (20 June 2012). "Alex Lends His Smooth Vocals to I Do I Do OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "I Do, I Do, ngayong May 6 na!". GMA Network (in Filipino). 2 May 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-31.