I Don't Believe You
|"I Don't Believe You"|
|Single by Pink|
|from the album Funhouse|
|Released||October 5, 2009
(see release history)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Length||4:36 (Album Version)
3:50 (Radio Edit)
|Writer(s)||Pink, Max Martin|
|Pink singles chronology|
"I Don't Believe You" is a song by American recording artist Pink. It was released as the sixth single from her fifth studio album, Funhouse. The song became the least successful of the six singles from "Funhouse".
Musically, the song is a mid-tempo pop ballad, set in common time and played in the key of A-flat major. The guitar and piano are used for the background music, while Pink's voice follows the A♭ —Fm7—Cm—D♭—A♭ chord progression. Pink explained on her website that, lyrically, the song is about pleading for reconciliation, and is her favourite song from Funhouse "because it's just so naked. It's like taking a deep breathe and saying, 'Here I am. Take me. Take your best shot'." She went on to explain that:
"The first thing that comes to my mind with I Don't Believe You is me standing in the vocal booth listening... Actually in the control room listening to this song, tears running down my face, just like 'fuck, really?' It's the vulnerable weak side of me that I don't let out very often. And it's [sighs], yeah it's that song. And I love it, I love it. I just love it, it's very near and dear to me."
A sample of the song, in which Pink sings the chorus.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Jonathan Keefe from Slant Magazine praised the song, its sparse electric guitar riff, and Pink's "phenomenal vocal turn that is both vulnerable and accusatory", while New York Times reporter Jon Caramanica claimed "I Don't Believe You" swells like a classic soul ballad, as Pink pleads for a lover to reconsider walking away. On another side, Christian Hoard of Rolling Stone magazine gave a negative review, claiming the song is a "goopy ballad", which makes the singer sound like "just another big-voiced chart-buster", and that she has shown more personality on previous singles.
"I Don't Believe You" is Pink's single with the lowest peak in the United Kingdom. It failed to reach the top forty due to physical single was cancelled. In the U.S. & Canada, the track has sold around 115,000+ in digital downloads, but failed to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, making I Don't Believe You her only single from Funhouse not to have higher charting. In Australia, the song reached number twenty-three on the sales chart and was the number-one most added track to the radio on its debut week of release. In the Europe, "I Don't Believe You" reached top forty in most countries with its highest peak in Portugal, where the song reached number one.
The music video for "I Don't Believe You", directed by Sophie Muller, was shot in September 2009 in Los Angeles, California. The music video premiered on October 2009. The video is in black and white, it features Pink in the wedding dress she wore to her actual wedding to Carey Hart in 2006, and a diamond encrusted wedding gown as she searches for her lover, to no avail. Scenes include her lying down in the dress, rollerblading around what appears to be the inside of a church (The Los Angeles Theater), singing to an empty wedding dinnerroom, crying over an empty wedding album and singing to herself in front of the mirror.
On September 16, 2009 Pink performed "I Don't Believe You" along with "Funhouse" on Jimmy Kimmel Live! She also performed the song on February 5, 2010 on The Oprah Winfrey Show. The song was also performed on the Funhouse Tour.
- "I Don't Believe You" - 4:36
- "I Don't Believe You" (Live In Australia) - 4:38
- Aleko's Club Mix
- Aleko's Radio Edit
- Bimbo Jones Radio Edit
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||15|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||7|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||66|
|European Hot 100||50|
|German Singles Chart||17|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||70|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||23|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||33|
|UK Singles Chart||62|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||17|
|United States||October 5, 2009||Airplay|
|Australia||October 23, 2009||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||October 23, 2009||Digital download|
|Germany||November 27, 2009||CD single|
- "I Don't Believe You". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Pink - I Don't Believe You Sheet Music". Music Notes. Alfred Music Publishing. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- "I Don't Believe You by Pink". Songfacts. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- Keefe, Jonathan (2008-10-26). "Pink: Funhouse Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- Caramanica, Jon (2008-10-26). "New CDs". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Hoard, Christian (2009-10-30). "Funhouse: Pink: Review: Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "Chart News". Aumreport.com. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Pink In A Wedding Dress! Check Out Pics From Her New Music Video". RadarOnline.com. 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Pink: "I Don’t Believe You" Music Video : Pop Music Scene - Covering all aspects of popular music". Pop Music Scene. 2009-10-15. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- Posted 10/26/09. "I Don't Believe You | P!nk | Music Video". MTV. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Pink ‘I Don’t Believe You’ Video". popdirt.com. 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Pink Performs ‘Funhouse’ & ‘I Don’t Believe You’". popdirt.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- [dead link]
- "Australian-charts.com – P!nk – I Don't Believe You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "P!nk – I Don't Believe You – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "P!NK - I DON'T BELIEVE YOU". Ultratop. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "P!nk Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for P!nk.
- "Danishcharts.com – P!nk – I Don't Believe You". Tracklisten.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – P!nk – I Don't Believe You" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – P!nk search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Swedishcharts.com – P!nk – I Don't Believe You". Singles Top 60.
- "P!nk – I Don't Believe You – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "UK Singles Chart Top 75". acharts.us. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: Hot AC". Gfa.radioandrecords.com. 2009-10-05. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "I Don't Believe You: P!nk: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Retrieved 2010-06-21.