I Don't Want This Night to End
|"I Don't Want This Night to End"|
|Single by Luke Bryan|
|from the album Tailgates & Tanlines|
|Released||September 5, 2011|
|Luke Bryan singles chronology|
"I Don't Want This Night to End" is the title of a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Luke Bryan. It was released in September 2011 as the second single from his album Tailgates & Tanlines. The song was written by Bryan, Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson and Ben Hayslip.
Bryan told The Boot that the song is about "a guy meeting a girl, and it's the first night that they're hanging out. It's a magical night and he doesn't want it to end. It's got a big fun chorus in it." He co-wrote the song with Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson, and Ben Hayslip, collectively known as The Peach Pickers. After Hayslip provided the title, Bryan began playing a melody on a guitar. Hayslip then said that his publisher, Randy Gaston, recommended that he write "a song that talks about putting your hands up in the chorus".
The song is in A minor, at a moderate tempo of approximately 112 beats per minute. The verses use a chord pattern of Am-G-Fsus2 three times, with a C-G-F pattern twice on the chorus followed by the original pattern of Am-G-Fsus2 twice. It ends on the Fsus2 chord.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song four stars out of five, calling the chorus "pretty memorable" and saying that the writers "did a nice job of not over-thinking things." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song three and a half stars of five, writing that the chorus is "infectious and sing-a-long ready" and the song is "strong, well-written" and "sounds great on the radio, just like it will in concerts."
The music video was directed by Shaun Silva and premiered on November 8, 2011. Bryan portrays a country music star who falls for a new girl (played by actress Cameron Richardson) while he is home from the road. The video is a prequel to the music video for "Drunk On You" which was later released as a single.
"I Don't Want This Night to End" debuted at number 44 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of September 17, 2011. It debuted at number 90 on the U.S. Billboard Hot100 chart for the week of October 15, 2011. It debuted at number 80 on Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of November 5, 2011.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||22|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||48|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||87|
|US Billboard Hot 100||93|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||17|
"Drink in My Hand"
by Eric Church
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
February 4, 2012
by Chris Young
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Gayles, Contessa (August 25, 2011). "Luke Bryan -- A Day in the Life". The Boot. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Conaway, Alanna (16 January 2012). "Behind the Song: Eight Handed Hit". Country Weekly 19 (3): 16. ISSN 1074-3235.
- "'I Don't Want This Night to End' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (August 25, 2011). "Luke Bryan, ‘I Don’t Want This Night to End’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Bjorke, Matt (September 19, 2011). "Luke Bryan - "I Don't Want This Night To End"". Roughstock. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Watch Luke Bryan’s New Video, “I Don’t Want This Night To End”
- Morris, Edward (September 10, 2011). "Jake Owen Tops Both Country Charts". Country Music Television. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Luke Bryan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "Canadian single certifications – Luke Bryan – I Don't Want This Night to End". Music Canada. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Luke Bryan – I Don't Want This Night to End". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2 February 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH