I Got Nothin'
|"I Got Nothin'"|
|Single by Darius Rucker|
|from the album Charleston, SC 1966|
|Released||May 23, 2011|
|Darius Rucker singles chronology|
"I Got Nothin'" is a song recorded by American country music singer Darius Rucker and co-written by Rucker with Clay Mills. It was released in May 2011 as the seventh solo single of Rucker's career, and the third single from his album Charleston, SC 1966.
In the song, the male narrator is facing the end of a marriage. The title has two meanings. First, he wants to say something to his wife to reconcile, but he can't think of anything; he has "got nothin'". Then, at the end of the song, he reflects that once she leaves, he has "got nothin'".
An uncredited review in HitFix described the song favorably, saying that it showed Rucker's "penchant for capturing details about every day life in a real, truthful way that makes you nod your head and say, 'I’ve been there.'" Taste of Country gave it a 9 out of 10 rating, praising Rucker's vocals and the twist in the song's bridge. Michael McCall of the Associated Press was less positive, saying that both it and "Come Back Song" "feature powerful performances that hardly vary in delivery and reveal little depth of feeling, despite dealing with serious topics." Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a C rating, saying that Rucker has potential, but he is not using it in this song.
"I Got Nothin'" debuted at number 54 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated June 4, 2011. It also debuted at number 84 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of October 1, 2011. It reached a peak of number 17 in November 2011.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||17|
|US Billboard Hot 100||84|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||58|
- ""I Got Nothin'" video". CMT. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Album Review: Darius Rucker's 'Charleston, SC 1966'". HitFix. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Dukes, Billy (9 May 2011). "Darius Rucker, ‘I Got Nothin” – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Rodman, Sarah (2010-10-11). "Darius Rucker, 'Charleston, SC 1966' - The Boston Globe". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Coyne, Kevin John (June 9, 2011). "5 Five-Second Single Reviews: Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, The Dirt Drifters, OCMS, Darius Rucker". Country Universe. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- Morris, Edward (28 May 2011). "Brad Paisley Peaks Songs Chart With "Old Alabama"". CMT. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Darius Rucker. Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Darius Rucker. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.