I Hope You Find It
|"I Hope You Find It"|
|Song by Miley Cyrus from the album The Last Song: Original Soundtrack|
|Released||March 23, 2010|
|Genre||Country pop, adult contemporary|
"I Hope You Find It" is a country pop and adult contemporary ballad by American entertainer Miley Cyrus. It was written by Steven Robson and Jeffrey Steele for inclusion on the soundtrack of Cyrus' 2010 film The Last Song. Although "I Hope You Find It" was not released as a single from the album, it debuted at #8 on Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart in the week ending April 10, 2010 and peaked at #5 a week later, on the basis of a large amount of digital downloads alone. It dropped out in the week ending April 24, 2010.
Its lyrics are about Ronnie (Cyrus' character) wishing her ex, Will (Liam Hemsworth's character), the best in a future relationship; while accepting it was nice while it lasted. According to the sheet music published at Musicnotes.com by Kobalt Music Publishing America, it is a moderately timed ballad written in the key of Bb major with a tempo of 69 beats per minute.
According to Jackie Willis of Entertainment Tonight, Cher showed Cyrus "the highest form of flattery" by covering her song, after going back on disparaging comments regarding Cyrus' controversial 2013 MTV Video Music Awards performance.
A 21 second sample of "I Hope You Find It" by Miley Cyrus, where a portion of the chorus is heard.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
The song received positive reviews from contemporary music critics. A critic from Maximum Pop wrote, "The song sounds very sweet coming from a 17 year old." The same magazine held a poll to determine whether Cyrus' original or Cher's cover version was better. Cyrus won the poll with an overwhelming majority by getting 90% of the votes, leading the critic to comment that it was time for Cher to "retire and pass her reign down to Miley."
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||5|
|"I Hope You Find It"|
|Single by Cher|
|from the album Closer to the Truth|
|Released||October 4, 2013|
|Cher singles chronology|
In 2013, it was covered by American entertainer Cher, who released it as the sophomore single off her twenty-fifth album Closer to the Truth. Her rendition is prominently a country pop ballad. "I Hope You Find It" became Cher's biggest radio hit in the United Kingdom in the 21st century, reaching number thirty-four on the official UK Airplay Chart. On the UK Singles Chart, the song debuted at number twenty-five, becoming Cher's first top 40 hit since "The Music's No Good Without You" in 2001. On September 24, 2013, Cher talked about "I Hope You Find It", calling it "an emotional ballad". She further stated- "Love songs are [usually about] 'I'm looking for love' or 'I've lost love'... They're usually not 'I found love, I lost love, and now I hope you find love with someone else'. Usually we're not that charitable."
The song received generally favorable reviews. John Hamilton of Idolator described that Cher "brings an appropriate world-weariness to the song." Tim Sendra of AllMusic stated that the second half of the album, which also includes "I Hope You Find It", wasn't successful, writing, "These songs aren't as successful, thanks to the somewhat syrupy melodies and clichéd lyrics, but also because Cher's vocals sound a little worn and frayed around the edges." Philip Matusavage of MusicOMH provided a favorable review, writing, "It invokes the Diane Warren-penned Cher classics of old and soars effortlessly in comparison to the laborious grunting of much preceding it."
A critic from So So Gay noted that the song "flexed the oft-overlooked soulful register of Cher's husky contralto." USA Today inducted the song to their download list. Michael Callahan of Philly gave a positive review, writing, "Cher’s too-rarely-heard falsetto pierces right to the heart."
The song debuted at 24 and peaked at no. 17 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart. It failed to chart on the Hot 100. It debuted at number forty-nine on the German Singles Chart, where it became Cher's highest entry in more than ten years. It also entered the charts in Austria and Switzerland, peaking at numbers 43 and 26, respectively. In addition to its Swiss peak, the song also broke into the top forty of the Irish Singles Chart, debuting at number thirty-nine. Also notably, "I Hope You Find It" became Cher's biggest radio hit in the United Kingdom in the 21st century, reaching number thirty-four on the official UK Airplay Chart, after a 134% increase in radio plays and an audience peak of 20.14 million. On the main UK Singles Chart, the song debuted at number twenty-five, becoming Cher's first top 40 hit since "The Music's No Good Without You" (2001). On the component charts, it shared the same opening spot (25) with the debut on the UK Digital Chart, while in Scotland it fared quite better, debuting at number 22.
In February 2014, "I Hope You Find It" debuted on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart at number 24, marking Cher's 31st entry on that chart during five decades. The following week, it climbed up to number 20, becoming her highest-charting solo AC hit since "Song for the Lonely" reached number 11 in 2002 and making Cher the only female artist to have a top 20 AC single in 5 consecutive decades. It went on to peak at number 17 and remained in the top 20 for 15 non-consecutive weeks.
Live performances and promotion
On September 23, 2013, Cher performed "I Hope You Find It" for the first time along with "Believe" and the album's lead single "Woman's World" as part of the Today Show concert series. Furthermore, she performed it a day later on CBS's Late Show with David Letterman, on the morning show Live! with Kelly and Michael and in Europe on Wetten, dass..?, The X Factor UK, Vivement dimanche! and The Graham Norton Show. On November 8, 2013, Cher closed the eighth week of Dancing With Stars with a performance of the song.
To further promote the single, Cher released a lyric video for the song on her official YouTube channel. The video was uploaded on September 24, 2013 and it has since gathered over 1,700,000 views. It includes handwritten letters and cards by Cher. Yahoo! Music provided a positive review for the video, praising the "beautiful treatment of this beautiful song, as well as the bittersweet message Cher delivers".
"I Hope You Find It" is on the setlist of Cher's current Dressed to Kill Tour, where she performs it floating on a platform above the audience. Brad Wheeler of The Globe and Mail provided a negative review of the performance, witing, "The encore ballad I Hope You Find It was a bum-note ending. Cher performed the Miley Cyrus cover dressed as a sort of religious icon, floating above the crowd in a papalish carrier. She had blessed her fans with her presence, but this was far too much symbolism. Perhaps her pedestal status had gone to her headdress." Dave McKenna of The Washington Post stated that the performance of "'I Hope You Find It" was perhaps a sign that Cher "turned over the outrageous mantle to the younger pop star [Cyrus], known to purvey Cheresque outrageousness."
- Digital single
- I Hope You Find It – 3:46
- I Hope You Find It/Woman's World CD single
- I Hope You Find It – 3:46
- Woman's World – 3:49
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||43|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||49|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||22|
|Switzerland (Swiss Hitparade)||26|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||25|
|UK Digital Singles (Official Charts Company)||25|
|UK Airplay (Official Charts Company)||20|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||17|
|Germany||October 4, 2013||CD single||Warner Bros. Records|
|United Kingdom||October 9, 2013||CD Single|
|Italy||November 8, 2013||Contemporary Hit Radio|
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles 2010-04-17". Billboard. Nielsen Business, Inc. Archived from the original on July 12, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "SONG-OFF: CHER VS. MILEY CYRUS – ‘I HOPE YOU FIND IT’". Maximum Pop. September 26, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "I Hope You Find It By Miley Cyrus - Digital Sheet Music". MusicNotes. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Willis, Jackie (September 25, 2013). "LISTEN: Cher Covers Miley Cyrus". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Corner, Lewis (June 18, 2013). "Cher announces new album 'Closer To The Truth'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Wass, Mike. "Cher’s ‘Closer To The Truth’: Stream The Entire Flawless Album". Idolator.
- Caulfield, Keith (September 24, 2013). "Cher Tells 'The Truth': Watch Her Talk New Album, P!nk Collab, Miley Cyrus & More". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Hamilton, John (September 24, 2013). "Cher’s ‘Closer To The Truth’: Album Review". Idolator. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- Sendra, Tim (September 24, 2013). "Cher- Closer to the Truth". AllMusic. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Matusavage, Philip (October 10, 1013). "Cher – Closer To The Truth". MusicOMH. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- "Album Review: Cher – Closer to the Truth". So So Gay. September 23, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Shriver, Jerry (September 24, 2013). "Listen Up: Here's the superb 'Truth' from Cher". USA Today. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Callahan, Michael (September 24, 2013). "ALBUM REVIEW: The Honest Truth About Cher’s ‘Closer to the Truth’". Philly. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- charts.de "Cher, I Hope You Find It / Woman's World". Media Control Charts. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- Cher - I Hope You Find It / Woman's World - hitparade.ch "CHER - I HOPE YOU FIND IT / WOMAN'S WORLD". Hitparade. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- GFK Chart-Track "TOP 100 SINGLES, WEEK ENDING 17 October 2013". GFK. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Chart Pack". Music Week. Official Charts Company. October 13, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "OneRepublic reclaim UK singles top spot with Counting Stars". Official Charts. October 20, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "UK Single Downloads Top 40". Official Charts. October 26, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Chart Highlights: American Authors Are 'Best' On Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "Cher Scores 31st Billboard Adult Contemporary Hit With 'I Hope You Find It'". Cher News. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Listen to the Ferosh Reconstruction of Cher's "Closer to the Truth" jam.". Billboard. March 14, 2013.
- "A New Song From Cher! Get First Look at ‘I Hope You Find It’ Lyric Video". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo!Music. September 24, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Wheeler, Brad (April 8, 2014). "Cher razzles, dazzles in Dressed to Kill show". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- McKenna, Dave (April 6, 2014). "Cher, on yet another farewell tour, revives hits and shows she’s ready to move on". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "I Hope You Find It/Woman's World (2track): Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "Cher – I Hope You Find It – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Chart Pack UK Airplay Chart". Music Week. London, UK. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Cher - Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "I Hope You Find It / Woman's World: Cher". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Cher – I Hope You Find It". Radio Airplay. Retrieved August 8, 2014.