I Kill Giants
|I Kill Giants|
Cover of the first issue
|Publication date||July 2008 – January 2009|
|Number of issues||7|
|Artist(s)||J. M. Ken Niimura|
J. M. Ken Niimura
I Kill Giants is an American comic book limited series published by Image Comics beginning in 2008. The comic was created by writer Joe Kelly and artist J. M. Ken Niimura and features a girl struggling with life by escaping into a fantasy life of magic and monsters.
As stated by Joe Kelly in a Newsarama interview:
"It's a story about a girl who’s a bit of an outsider – she's funny, but totally in our geekland: she's obsessed with Dungeons & Dragons, she doesn't have a lot of friends, she’s a bit of a social misfit. She's taken her fantasy life a little far, and really only talks about giants to people. She's convinced that giants are real and giants are coming, and it's her responsibility to stop them when they show up. This weird little fantasy life that she's going has started seeping into her real life, and as we see things from her point of view, we see that she sees pixies and she sees signs in the clouds and other things that might be telling her that bad things might be coming."
The series has been collected into an individual volume:
- I Kill Giants (softcover, Image Comics, 184 pages, May 2009, ISBN 1-60706-092-2, hardcover, 300 pages, November 2009, Image Comics, ISBN 1-60706-173-2, Titan Books, ISBN 1-60706-172-4)
I Kill Giants won the "Best Indy Book of 2008" by IGN, as well as making into the 10 best comics of 2009 list as compiled by New York magazine's Dan Kois, as well as 2010 top ten great graphic novels for teens by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). It won the Gold Award at the 5th International Manga Award in 2012. It was voted the second best foreign comic book published in Japan in the Gaiman Award.
- Brady, Matt (April 17, 2008). "Joe Kelly on I Kill Giants". Newsarama. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- IGN Best of 2008
- Shocking Memoirs and Superhero Adventures: The Best Comics of 2009
- YALSA 2010 Top Ten Great Graphic Novels for Teens
- "The 5th International MANGA Award". manga-award.jp. International MANGA Award Executive Committee. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "ANIME NEWS: 'Taste of Chlorine' voted No. 1 translated foreign comic in 2013". AJW. Asahi Shimbun. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
||This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2010)|