I Knew It Was You
|I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale|
|Directed by||Richard Shepard|
|Produced by||Brett Ratner
|Written by||Matt Austin
|Music by||Adam Gorgoni|
|Editing by||Adam Lichtenstein|
|Running time||39 minutes|
The film received its name from a famed line from The Godfather Part II directed toward Cazale's character of Fredo Corleone, and acts as a retrospective of Cazale's distinguished acting career, which was cut short at age 42 when he died of bone cancer.
Release & recognition
It will be released on DVD in Fall 2010 by Oscilloscope Laboratories.
Victoria Large wrote that "while I Knew it Was You works as a wonderful career retrospective for fans or a great primer for newcomers, the real power of the piece lies in the juxtaposition of the highlights of Cazale’s career with the warm remembrances of his friends and the biographical facts of his life". Don R. Lewis of Film Threat felt that the film did not properly cover Cazale's early life, writing "From it’s awkward running time of 40 minutes to the way director Richard Shepard completely skims over the man’s life outside of acting, I just didn’t feel there was enough going on to make this doc truly special. That being said, I Knew it Was You is an excellent tribute piece to a fine actor and a great way to learn more about the roles and work ethic of Cazale".
Awards & nominations
- AP Movie News (January 18, 2009). "Sundance doc wants people to know 'it's Cazale'". Associated Press (The Insider). Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- Stein, Ruthe (April 12, 2009). "Late actor John Cazale lionized in documentary". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 14, 2009.
- Sternbergh, Adam (July 24, 2009). "The Godfather". New York Magazine. Retrieved October 14, 2009.
- Large, Victoria (June 11, 2009). "review: I Knew It Was You". notcoming.com. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- "Sundance Film Festival 2009". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- Lewis, Don R. "review: I Knew It Was You". Film Threat. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- "Awards Roundup: May 29-June 9, 2009". Documentary.org. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale at the Internet Movie Database
- I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale at Oscilloscope Laboratories.