I Know Why (And So Do You)
"I Know Why (And So Do You)" is a 1941 song by Glenn Miller and His Orchestra. The song appeared in the 20th Century Fox movie Sun Valley Serenade. The song was also released as an RCA Bluebird 78 single.
The song was written by Mack Gordon, lyrics, and Harry Warren, music. The song is lip-synched by Lynn Bari in the movie Sun Valley Serenade. Pat Friday sang the vocals with John Payne. The single, RCA Bluebird B-11230-A, reached no. 18 on the Billboard pop singles chart in a one week chart run. The single release featured vocals by Paula Kelly and The Four Modernaires. The B side of the single was "Chattanooga Choo Choo".
The Manhattan Transfer, Richard Himber And His Orchestra with Johnny Johnston and the Joseph Lilley Ensemble on vocals, Ray Anthony, Anne Shelton with Ambrose & his Orchestra, and Robert Clary have also recorded the song. The Glenn Miller recording was featured in the 1990 Warner Bros. movie Memphis Belle.
The personnel on the 1941 recording by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra were: Paula Kelly, The Modernaires (vo), Billy May, John Best, Ray Anthony, R.D. McMickle (tp), Glenn Miller, Jim Priddy, Paul Tanner, Frank D'Annolfo (tb), Hal McIntyre, Wilbur Schwartz (cl, as), Tex Benneke, Al Klink (ts), Ernest Caceres (bar), J.C. McGregor (p), Jack Lathrop (g), Trigger Alpert (sb), and Maurice Purtill (dm).
The song appears on the following albums:
- Remember Glenn Miller, 20th Century, 1973
- The Complete Glenn Miller, Vol. 6 (1940-1941), RCA Bluebird
- Glenn Miller: The Popular Recordings (1938-1942), RCA Bluebird, 1989
- The Ultimate Glenn Miller, RCA Bluebird, 1993
- The Essential Glenn Miller, RCA Bluebird, 1995
- Flower, John (1972). Moonlight Serenade: a bio-discography of the Glenn Miller Civilian Band. New Rochelle, NY: Arlington House. ISBN 0-87000-161-2.
- Miller, Glenn (1943). Glenn Miller's Method for Orchestral Arranging. New York: Mutual Music Society. ASIN: B0007DMEDQ
- Simon, George Thomas (1980). Glenn Miller and His Orchestra. New York: Da Capo paperback. ISBN 0-306-80129-9.
- Simon, George Thomas (1971). Simon Says. New York: Galahad. ISBN 0-88365-001-0.
- Schuller, Gunther (1991). Volume 2 of The Swing Era:the Development of Jazz, 1930–1945 /. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-507140-9.