I Left Something Turned On at Home
|"I Left Something Turned On at Home"|
|Single by Trace Adkins|
|from the album Dreamin' Out Loud|
|B-side||"I Can Only Love You Like a Man"|
|Released||April 21, 1997|
|Trace Adkins singles chronology|
"I Left Something Turned On at Home" is a song written by Billy Lawson and John Schweers and recorded by American country music singer Trace Adkins. It was released in April 1997 as the fourth and final single from his debut album Dreamin' Out Loud. The song became his third Top 10 hit the Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart by reaching number 2; it also became his first number 1 single on the Canadian RPM country chart.
The song is up-tempo accompanied largely by electric guitar. It is based on a double entendre. The male narrator is at a bar, telling his companions that he has to leave because he "left something turned on at home". He then explains in the chorus that what he left "turned on" was not an appliance, but rather his sexually aroused female partner.
Rick Cohoon of Allmusic gave the song a favorable review. He stated that "Lawson and Schweers [the songwriters] gave a whole new meaning to an age-old expression, and that's what good songwriting is." Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling it an "energetic exercise in double-entendres." She goes on to say that the song features "tasty guitar and fiddle touches, but the main selling point is Adkins' tongue-in-cheek vocal performance."
"I Left Something Turned On at Home" debuted at number 73 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of April 26, 1997.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||28|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||10|
"Carrying Your Love with Me"
by George Strait
|RPM Country Tracks
August 11, 1997
"Still Holding On"
by Clint Black with Martina McBride
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 18. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Cohoon, Rick. "Trace Adkins - "I Left Something Turned On at Home"". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- Billboard, May 3, 1997
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 3293." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 11, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Trace Adkins Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Trace Adkins.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1997". RPM. December 15, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Best of 1997: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.