I Love You Again
|I Love You Again|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||W.S. Van Dyke|
|Produced by||Lawrence Weingarten|
|Written by||Octavus Roy Cohen (novel)
Leon Gordon (story)
Maurine Watkins (story)
|Music by||Franz Waxman|
|Cinematography||Oliver T. Marsh|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
|Release dates||September 9, 1940|
|Running time||99 minutes|
I Love You Again is a comedy film released in 1940. It was directed by W.S. Van Dyke and starred William Powell and Myrna Loy; all three were prominently involved in the The Thin Man series. The cast also included Frank McHugh, Edmund Lowe and Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer.
While on a cruise, stodgy, overly-frugal businessman Larry Wilson (William Powell) gets hit on the head with an oar while rescuing 'Doc' Ryan (Frank McHugh). He wakes up and remembers that he is actually a suave conman named George Cary; Doc is one of his crooked associates. However, he has lost all memory of the past nine years as Larry.
He returns to New York and learns that he is married to Kay (Myrna Loy), who is in the process of divorcing him to marry Herbert (Donald Douglas). George talks Doc into masquerading as a physician treating him, partly out of curiosity, but mostly because of greed, after seeing the balance in his checking account. That turns out to be a dead end (the money is only held in trust for the Community Chest), so he decides to swindle people using his alter-ego's sterling reputation. A complication arises when he falls in love with Kay a second time. She however wants nothing further to do with her boring cheapskate of a husband. George attempts to win back Kay's affections while simultaneously trying to sell some worthless land to the greedy leading citizens of the town.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2010)|
- William Powell as Lawrence 'Larry' Wilson / George Carey
- Myrna Loy as Katherine 'Kay' Wilson
- Frank McHugh as 'Doc' Ryan
- Edmund Lowe as Duke Sheldon
- Donald Douglas as Herbert
- Nella Walker as Kay's mother
- Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer as Leonard Harkspur Jr.
- Pierre Watkin as W.H. Sims
- Paul Stanton as Edward Littlejohn Sr.
- Morgan Wallace as Phil Belenson
- Charles Arnt as Mr. Billings
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2010)|
- I Love You Again at the Internet Movie Database
- Turner Classic Movies overview
- I Love You Again at AllMovie
|This article about a romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|