I Marine Expeditionary Force
|I Marine Expeditionary Force|
I MEF insignia
|Active||8 November 1969 – present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Type||Marine Air-Ground Task Force|
|Role||Expeditionary combat force|
|Part of||U.S. Marine Forces Pacific|
|Garrison/HQ||MCB Camp Pendleton, California, U.S.|
|LtGen John A. Toolan, USMC|
|Gen Anthony Zinni, Gen Michael Hagee, Gen James T. Conway, Gen James Mattis, Gen John F. Sattler|
The I Marine Expeditionary Force ("I" pronounced "First") is a Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) of the United States Marine Corps primarily composed of the 1st Marine Division, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, and 1st Marine Logistics Group.
Among U.S. Marines, it is common to pronounce I MEF as "eye mef", "first mef", or "one mef".
When directed, I MEF deploys and is employed as a Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) in support of Combatant Commander (COCOM) requirements for contingency response or Major Theater War; with appropriate augmentation, serves as the core element of a Joint Task Force (JTF); prepares and deploys combat ready MAGTF’s to support COCOM presence and crisis response; and supports service and COCOM initiatives as required.
- Activated on 8 November 1969 at Okinawa, Japan as the I Marine Expeditionary Force
- Redesignated on 18 August 1970 as the I Marine Amphibious Force (I MAF)
- Relocated in April 1971 to Camp Pendleton, California
- Redesignated on 5 February 1988 as the "I Marine Expeditionary Force"
- Ground combat element: 1st Marine Division
- Aviation combat element: 3rd Marine Air Wing
- Logistics combat element: 1st Marine Logistics Group
- Command element: I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group
- 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade
- 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit
- 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit
- 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
- Operation Desert Shield – Southwest Asia – August 1990 – April 1991
- Operation Desert Storm – Southwest Asia – August 1990 – April 1991
- Operation Restore Hope- December 1992 – May 1993
- Operation Southern Watch – Iraq – January 1998 – February 1998
- Operation Desert Thunder – Iraq – February 1998 – June 1998
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Kuwait, Afghanistan – November 2002
- Operation Iraqi Freedom – Iraq – March 2003 – 2010
- Reynolds Baghdad, Basrah and Beyond, pg. 169.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to I Marine Expeditionary Force.|