I Melt with You
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|"I Melt with You"|
|Single by Modern English|
|from the album After the Snow|
|Released||May 4, 1982|
|Format||7", CD Single|
|Genre||Post-punk, New Wave|
|Length||4:10 (full album version)
3:52 (single version)
|Label||4AD, Sire, TVT|
|Modern English singles chronology|
"I Melt with You" is a song by the British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. The song, produced by Hugh Jones, was a single from the 1982 album After the Snow, and is about a couple making love as nuclear bombs fall. It reached #7 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart and #78 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1983. The song gained popularity due to its airplay on MTV in early 1983 and its use in the ending titles and in a "falling in love" montage sequence in Valley Girl the same year. The band re-recorded it in 1990 for their album Pillow Lips, the re-released version peaking at #76 on the Billboard Hot 100. The reformed original line up of the band re-recorded it again in 2010 in a completely reworked style for inclusion in the movie I Melt With You.
It is ranked #39 on VH1's 100 greatest songs of the 80's and #7 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s.
- Good Riddance covered it on their 2002 album Cover Ups, also included in Before You Were Punk compilation.
- Mest covered it for the 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie.
- Jason Mraz performed a cover for the film 50 First Dates.
- Nouvelle Vague recorded a bossa nova cover on their 2004 self-titled debut. This cover was played during the final scene and closing credits of the pilot episode of Don't_Trust_the_B----_in_Apartment_23.
- Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine covered it on their 2006 Christmas album Silent Nightclub.
- Saves the Day covered it on their I'm Sorry I'm Leaving EP in 1999.
- Stretch Arm Strong included their cover as a hidden track on their 1999 album, Rituals of Life.
- Sugarcult covered it for the 2005 cover compilation album entitled Punk Goes 80's.
- Bob Forrest covered it on his solo album Modern Folk and Blues Wednesday in 2006.
- Bowling for Soup covered the song for the Sky High soundtrack. For this version, the line "Making love to you" was changed to "Being friends with you".
- Girl Named T, a San Francisco-based alt-rock solo artist, Theresa Sawi, covered it in her second album, "Wait By the Rabbit Hole" in 2013.
- Interview with vocalist Robbie Grey on Valley Girl 20th anniversary DVD special features, MGM Home Entertainment, 2003.