I Need a Lover
|"I Need a Lover"|
|Single by John Cougar|
|from the album John Cougar|
|B-side||"Welcome to China Town"|
|Format||7-inch 45 RPM|
|Recorded||1978 at AIR Studios, London, England|
|Length||5:38, 3:30 (Single)|
|John Cougar singles chronology|
"I Need a Lover" is a rock song written and performed by John Mellencamp under the stage name John Cougar. It first appeared on his 1978 album A Biography, which was not released in the United States. It was also included in his 1979 follow-up album John Cougar and released as a single, which became his first Top 40 hit in the US, reaching number 28 on the Billboard Hot 100 in late 1979. Allmusic reviewer Stephen Thomas Erlewine has described it as Mellencamp's "first good song".
The song also became an album-oriented rock radio hit for singer Pat Benatar, appearing on her 1979 debut album In the Heat of the Night. Hamilton Leithauser (of indie rock band The Walkmen) performed a version of the song in August 2014 for The A.V. Club's A.V. Undercover series.
- The Best That I Could Do 1978–1988 (CD liner). John Mellencamp. U.S.A.: Mercury Records. 1997. p. 9. 314 536 738-2.
- "John Cougar: A Biography: review". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "John Cougar: A Biography: review". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th Edition). Billboard Books. p. 418. ISBN 0-8230-7499-4.
- "John Mellencamp biography". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- "Pat Benatar: In the Heat of the Night". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Modell, Josh (12 August 2014). "Hamilton Leithauser covers John Cougar (and he’s playing A.V. Fest)". The A.V. Club. Onion, Inc. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
|This 1970s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|