I Run to You
|"I Run to You"|
|Single by Lady Antebellum|
|from the album Lady Antebellum and Need You Now (International Edition)|
|Released||January 26, 2009
(see release history)
|Length||4:16 (Album Version)
3:44 (Radio Edit)
3:49 (Pop Edit)
|Label||Capitol Nashville, Parlophone (UK)|
|Lady Antebellum singles chronology|
"I Run to You" is the title of a song recorded by American country music group Lady Antebellum. It was released in January 2009 as the third and final single from the group's self-titled debut album. Hillary Scott, Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood, who comprise Lady Antebellum, co-wrote the song with Tom Douglas. "I Run to You" is the group's first Number One single, reaching that peak in July 2009. The song appears on Now That's What I Call Country Volume 2 and Now That's What I Call Music 31.
The song won the 2009 CMA Single of the Year Award on November 11, 2009. It won the Grammy Award for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Country Song on December 2, 2009, but lost to Taylor Swift's "White Horse".
In the UK and Europe, "I Run to You" was the second single taken from their Need You Now album. It was released on 9 August 2010 in support of their debut UK live show at Shepherd's Bush Empire. The single made the A-list playlist on BBC Radio 2.
"I Run to You" is a mid-tempo with electric guitar and string section accompaniment. In it, the narrators — lead singers Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott — claim that they turn to each other to escape the negativity and prejudice of the world.
Brady Vercher of The 9513 gave the song a "thumbs down" review, calling it "a vague profession of love" and adding, "The song comes across as purposefully cryptic because they either didn’t fully develop the idea, haven’t become comfortable opening up in their lyrics, or they just didn’t feel the need to focus on the lyric other than as a device to support the melody." Dan Milliken of Country Universe gave the song a B rating, saying that it "rolls sweetly along and never tries to sound more important than it really is".
Paul Worley, who co-produced the album and played guitar on it, said, "The song is an expression against hate, prejudice, negativity, running the rat race, but ultimately the redemption of love! And it has an irresistible melody and a head-bobbing groove. What could be better?"
A music video, directed by Adam Boatman, was released for the song in March 2009. The video follows a chain of events, which depicts how one good deed leads to another. It begins with a mother giving money to a man playing guitar on the sidewalk, who walks into a coffee shop and loans money to a businessman who left his wallet at home. The businessman then helps a woman pick up her stack of papers that scatters when she falls over. Later, the woman takes a seat on the bench and waits for the bus. The mother from the beginning arrives at the bus stop and she gives up her seat for her. Included with these are scenes of the trio singing in a small hotel room.
A second video for the European release of "I Run to You" was shot and debuted on their record label Parlophone's YouTube page on 30 July 2010. This alternate video was directed by Christopher Sims.
Formats and track listings
- "I Run to You" - 4:18
- "I Run to You" (Live at The Ryman) - 5:01
The following musicians perform on this track:
- John Catchings – cello
- Chad Cromwell – drums
- David Davidson – violin
- Jason "Slim" Gambill – electric guitar
- Jim Grosjean – viola
- Dave Haywood – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, background vocals
- Charles Kelley – lead vocals
- Rob McNelley – electric guitar
- Sari Reist – cello
- Michael Rojas – Hammond B-3 organ, synthesizer
- Hillary Scott – lead vocals
- Pamela Sixfin – violin
- Mary Kathryn Vanosdale – violin
- Kristin Wilkinson – viola
- Karen Winkelman – violin
- Paul Worley – electric guitar
- Craig Young – bass guitar
Strings arranged by Kristin Wilkinson.
|U.S.||January 26, 2009||Radio, Digital download||Capitol Nashville|
|U.S. CHR||June 8, 2010||Radio|
|Europe||August 9, 2010||Digital download||Parlophone, Capitol Nashville|
"I Run to You" debuted at number 50 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart dated January 31, 2009. After spending 26 weeks on the chart, the song became the trio's first number one hit for the week of July 25, 2009. The song has also become Lady Antebellum's first top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100, where it peaked at number 27. On the Billboard Year-End charts, "I Run to You" was ranked as the number 1 country single of 2009. It also debuted at number 39 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks charts for the week of July 17, 2010. It also debuted at number 27 on the U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary Tracks charts for the week of September 4, 2010.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||54|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||118|
|US Billboard Hot 100||27|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||14|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||15|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||90|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
"Sideways" by Dierks Bentley
|Billboard Hot Country Songs number-one single
July 25, 2009
"People Are Crazy" by Billy Currington
"Just Got Started Lovin' You" by James Otto
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
number-one single of the year
"Love Like Crazy" by Lee Brice
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards Nominees List", Grammy.com, December 2, 2009
- Lady Antebellum Unveils Debut London Show & Single Details
- BBC - Radio 2 - Playlist
- Vercher, Brady (2009-02-04). "Lady Antebellum - "I Run to You"". The 9513. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Milliken, Dan (2009-01-24). "Lady Antebelllum - "I Run to You"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- Lady Antebellum (CD liner notes). Lady Antebellum. Capitol Records Nashville. 2008. 032062.
- YouTube - Parlophone - Lady Antebellum - I Run To You (Official)
- Christopher Sims - Director - Lady Antebellum - "I Run to You"
- I Run to You - Single by Lady Antebellum - Single on iTunes
- I Run To You: Lady Antebellum: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads
- I Run To You: Lady Antebellum: Amazon.fr: Téléchargements MP3
- "Year End Charts - Year-end Singles - Hot Country Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- "American single certifications – Lady Antebellum – I Run to You". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved 09-24-2010.
- "Chart Log UK: New Entries Update 21.08.2010 (wk32)". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved 09-24-2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved 09-24-2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved 09-24-2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved 09-24-2010.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.