I Want You (Cheap Trick song)
|"I Want You"|
|Single by Cheap Trick|
|from the album One on One|
|B-side||"Lookin' Out for Number One"|
|Genre||Rock, Power Pop|
|Producer||Roy Thomas Baker|
|Cheap Trick singles chronology|
The single was released as a 7" vinyl only in the Netherlands, using exactly the same version of the song as the album version.
The b-side "Lookin' Out for Number One" was featured on the "One on One" album.
Both tracks were produced by Roy Thomas Baker who had also produced the entire "One on One" album.
Despite the title's similarity to Cheap Trick's popular 1977 track I Want You to Want Me, the song is not similar in any other way.
Released in the Netherlands only, the single managed to peak at #48 on the singles chart for just one week. The earlier 1982 single "If You Want My Love" managed to peak at #26 whilst "She's Tight" didn't chart.
As a limited international release, no music video was created.
 Track listing
- 7" Single
- "I Want You" - 3:30
- "Lookin' Out for Number One" - 4:14
 Critical reception
Rolling Stone magazine spoke of the song in a review of the album "One on One suggests that although guitarist-songwriter Rick Nielsen's AC/DC fixation continues unabated, there remains cause for hope. Which isn't to say that One on One doesn't offer its share of depressingly moronic cuts. Take "I Want You," for example, during which singer Robin Zander sounds as though he's undergoing total body electrolysis. His hollering is abetted by Nielsen's ultravolume ax thrashings and Roy Thomas Baker's acquiescent production. Not even the solid rhythm section of Bun E. Carlos and new bassist Jon Brant stands a chance against that kind of aural firepower."
 Chart performance
|Dutch Singles Chart||48|
- Robin Zander - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Nielsen - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Jon Brant - bass, backing vocals
- Bun E. Carlos - drums, percussion
 Additional personnel
- Roy Thomas Baker - Producer
- Ian Taylor – engineer
- Paul Klingberg – assistant
- George Marino – mastering
- Writer of "I Want You" – Rick Nielsen
- Writer of "Lookin' Out for Number One" - Rick Nielsen
- "Cheap Trick - I Want You (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - One On One at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - She's Tight / All I Really Want To Do (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Steffen Hung. "Cheap Trick - I Want You". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- By Christopher Connelly (1982-07-08). "One On One | Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-03-11.