I Wish (Stevie Wonder song)
|Single by Stevie Wonder|
|from the album Songs in the Key of Life|
|B-side||"You and I"|
3:37 (single edit)4:12 (album version)
|Stevie Wonder singles chronology|
"I Wish" is a hit song by Stevie Wonder. It was released in 1976 as a single and included on the album Songs in the Key of Life. Written and produced by Wonder, the song focuses on his childhood from the 1950s into the early 1960s. The single hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and soul singles chart.
The song evolves around an 8 note bassline composed on a Fender Rhodes electric piano, which is repeated throughout the whole song (although the specific octave of the bass line does change). The key of the piece is D♭ Major / B♭ Minor, although the bridge of the piece is slightly different. The keyboard part consists of a simple II - V progression during the chorus and verse: E♭ minor 7th (third inversion) and A♭ 7 (first inversion). Stevie Wonder also created a multi-layered synthesizer part which runs through the song's entirety using an Arp 2600. Throughout the chorus and verse, this varied minor pentatonic scale (which can be played using just the black keys on a keyboard) is repeated and adds depth to the song. This piece has a syncopated horn section, as well.
For the television series Classic Albums, Wonder recreated a small section from the song to demonstrate how he composed and arranged it. He played the keyboards and drums himself, and used most of the musicians that appeared on the original recording. Wonder revisited the making of the album, Songs in the Key of Life, with all the original core members except one, in a documentary in 1997, bringing together the musicians who worked on the album for the first time in 20 years, demonstrating how each of the songs were written and recorded. Again, Wonder took both the keyboards and the drum seat in a re-enactment of the recording of the song.
- In 1995, saxophonist Najee covered the song from his Stevie Wonder tribute album Songs from the Key of Life.
- The first season winner of Australian Idol and judge on The X Factor Australia, Guy Sebastian, recorded the song for his second studio album Beautiful Life in 2004.
- Will Smith sampled "I Wish" for his 1999 hit "Wild Wild West".
- Celine Dion performed "I Wish" as part of the A New Day... show in Last Vegas.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 636.
- Wonder, Stevie; Beus de Jung, Nick de Grunwald (1977). "Documentary: The Making of Songs in the Key of Life pt. 8". Video documentary of the making of Songs in the Key of Life. Isis Production. Retrieved 16 May 2010.
- "Songs from the Key of Life overview". Allmusic.com.
"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" by Leo Sayer
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
January 22, 1977
"Car Wash" by Rose Royce
"Darlin' Darlin' Baby (Sweet, Tender, Love)" by The O'Jays
|Billboard's Hot Soul Singles number one single
January 15 - February 12, 1977
"Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston