I Won't Dance
"I Won't Dance" is a song composed by Jerome Kern, with lyrics written by Oscar Hammerstein II and Otto Harbach, for the 1934 London musical Three Sisters. However, Three Sisters flopped and was quickly forgotten, so when the time came to film the Kern-Harbach musical Roberta, the song was interpolated into the film. It became such a hit that it is now included in all stage revivals and recordings of Roberta.
For the RKO film Roberta (1935), Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh changed the lyrics of the song, only keeping the title, which Hammerstein originated. It is the Fields and McHugh lyrics which are best known today.
The song is anachronistically used as a musical number performed by Felicia Day in the made-for-television biography of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Warm Springs, which largely takes place in the year 1924.
The song was also performed by Lucille Bremer and Van Johnson for the 1946 Kern bio-pic Till the Clouds Roll By. Since the scene takes place in a 20s nightclub, its appearance in the chronology of the film is, again, anachronistic.
- 1952: Kaye Ballard & Jack Cassidy - Roberta Studio Cast Recording
- 1956: Anita O'Day - Pick Yourself Up with Anita O'Day
- 1957: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis Again
- 1957: Frank Sinatra - A Swingin' Affair! (and Sinatra-Basie, 1962)
- 1957: Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie (Et Tu Bruce; 1984)
- 1960; Margaret Whiting - Margaret Whiting Sings the Jerome Kern Songbook
- 1961: Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson
- 1963: Peggy Lee - Mink Jazz
- 1970: Jula de Palma - Jula al Sistina
- 1973: The Pasadena Roof Orchestra - The Best of the Pasadena Roof Orchestra
- 1993: David Silverman Trio (I Have Dreamed CD) Chase Music Group - Los Angeles, CA
- 1994: Sylvia McNair with André Previn and David Finck - Sure Thing: The Jerome Kern Songbook
- 1997: Susannah McCorkle - The People That You Never Get To Love
- 1997: Barbara Cook - Oscar Winners: The Lyrics of Oscar Hammerstein, II
- 1999: Stacey Kent - Let Yourself Go
- 1999: Busdriver - "I won't Dance"
- 2002: Will Young - Pop Idol: The Big Band Album
- 2004: Jane Monheit and Michael Bublé - Taking a Chance on Love
- 2009: Jessica Lange and Malcolm Gets - their duet recorded in common for the soundtrack Grey Gardens
- 2010: Sarah McKenzie - "Don't Tempt Me"
|This 1930s song article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|