|• Total||5,476 km2 (2,114 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 232 or (+40) 332|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-IS|
Iași (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈjaʃʲ]) is a county (județ) of Romania, in Moldavia, with the administrative seat at Iași. It is the most populous county in Romania, after the Municipality of Bucharest (which has the same administrative level as that of a county).
As of 20 October 2011 census, Iași County had a population of 772,348. On the other hand, according to the 2012 data provided by the County Population Register Service, the total registered population of the county is as high as 873,662 people.
The population of Iași County today is nearly double what it was sixty years ago.
This county has a total area of 5,476 km². It lies on a plain between the Siret River and the Prut River. Two other rivers run through the county: the Bahlui River (on the banks of which lies the city of Iași) and the Jijia River.
- Republic of Moldova to the east - Ungheni District.
- Neamț County to the west.
- Botoșani County and Suceava County to the northwest.
- Vaslui County to the south.
This county is predominantly agricultural, due to its topography. Industry is concentrated in the cities. The principal industries are:
- Metallurgy and heavy-equipment manufacturing
- Electronics & Electrotechnics
- Food production
City of Iași is the most important city in Moldavia and one of the most important cultural centers in Romania. It has the oldest University in the country, and, until the formation of the United Principalities, it was the capital of Moldavia.
Some of the tourist destinations in the county:
- City of Iași and its environs (the Iași metropolitan area);
- Ruginoasa Palace;
- Cucuteni - Neolithic archeological site;
- Cotnari and Bohotin vineyards; Museum of Vineyard and Wine in Hârlău;
- Hadâmbu and Dobrovăț Monasteries;
- Miclăușeni Castle and Monastery;
- Vasile Alecsandri Memorial House in Mircești;
- Constantin Negruzzi Museum in Hermeziu;
- Towns of Pașcani, Târgu Frumos and Hârlău;
- Strunga health resort.
Iași County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 93 communes
- Municipalities (as of 2011 census)
- Alexandru Ioan Cuza
- Coarnele Caprei
- Ion Neculce
- Schitu Duca
- Valea Lupului
- Valea Seacă
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iași County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Unul din 25 de ieșeni nu deţine acte de identitate" (in Romanian). ziarulevenimentul.ro. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"