Iași International Airport
|Iași International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Iași
|Operator||Iași County Council|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||397 ft / 121 m|
The Iași region earned its commercial representative status on 24 June 1926, when scheduled flights were officialized on the route Bucharest – Galați – Iași and Chișinău. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, later LARES.
In 1966, a north–south concrete runway, 15/33, with a total length of 1,800 m (5,906 ft), and a modern lighting system, was built, followed, three years later, by the construction of a new passenger terminal. In 2001, the passenger terminal was upgraded in order to use separate flows for domestic and international flights and, in 2005, an instrument landing system CAT II was implemented.
In June 2012, a new passenger terminal (named Terminal T2) was added, to increase the total processing capacity to 215 pax/hour. The terminal was designated to be used for Schengen flights. The old terminal has been renamed Terminal T1.
Current and future development
Iași International Airport has started a long-term, multi-stage upgrade program. Module I of the project (an estimated €60 million investment), planned to be completed in two stages, between August 2013 - August 2015, involves the construction of a new 2,400 m (7,874 ft) runway, a terminal building with a processing capacity of 320 pax/hour, and the extension of the apron.
The first 1,800 m (5,906 ft) of the new runway 14/32 went into operation on 20 August 2014, whilst the entire length became fully operational on 16 October 2014. The old runway 15/33 was converted into a taxiway.
For the long term, the project proposes other modules for the construction, at the eastern side of the runway, of a new passenger terminal, a new apron, two rapid-exit taxiways, a cargo terminal, an aircraft fuel depot, a new access roadway, as well as of a 600 m (1,969 ft) extension for the runway (to a total length of 3,000 m (9,843 ft)).
The airport facilities consist of two terminals. The old Terminal T1 is used for international departures, while Terminal T2 is used for international arrivals, and for domestic flights. As of March 2015, a new terminal, planned to be finished by August 2015, is under construction.
Airlines and destinations
|Aegean Airlines||Seasonal charter: Heraklion|
|Air Bucharest||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Blue Air||Beauvais (begins 26 October 2015), Bucharest (begins 25 October 2015), London-Luton (begins 25 October 2015), Rome-Fiumicino (begins 27 October 2015)
Seasonal charter: Zakynthos
|TAROM||Bologna, Bucharest, London-Luton, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Turin
Seasonal charter: Antalya, Rhodes
|Wizz Air||Bergamo, London-Luton (begins 16 September 2015), Treviso|
Traffic and statistics
In 2014, the airport served 273,047 passengers, a 17.7% increase compared to the previous year, partly due to the start of three new external routes (Tel Aviv, Bergamo and Treviso).
|Year||Passengers||Compared to Previous Year||Aircraft movements|
|Month||Passengers||Change (2014-2015)||Passengers Cumulatively|
|Bucharest||Henri Coandă International Airport||
|Turin||Turin Caselle Airport||
|Milan||Il Caravaggio International Airport||
|Tel Aviv||Ben Gurion Airport||
|Heraklion||Heraklion International Airport||
|Rhodes||Rhodes International Airport||
|Zakynthos||Zakynthos International Airport||
RATP, the public transit operator in Iași, provides service on route 50, to the city centre (Piața Unirii - Union Square), at specific times of day, correlated with flight arrivals and departures. As of 2 April 2015, fare is 2 RON (€0.45) for a single trip ticket. Depending on its viability, the service could later extend to Iași central railway station.
Various taxis have access to and from the airport. The charges vary around 2 RON/km.
- EAD Basic
- Iași Airport in 2013 at aeroport.ro (Romanian)
- Anna.aero database
- Press release for 2013 (Romanian)
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918-1945)
- 2013 Project presentation
- A new terminal for Iasi International Airport
- Airport modernisation project
- Etapa a II-a a proiectului de modernizare a Aeroportului Iaşi a trecut de verificarea tehnico-economică (Romanian)
- Development and modernization - Module I (Romanian)
- Un an şi jumătate de lucrări pe Aeroportul Iaşi at ziarulevenimentul.ro (Romanian)
- Max Boegl Romania, contract de aproape 140 milioane de lei cu Aeroportul Iasi at traficmedia.ro (Romanian)
- Inaugurarea pistei Aeroportului (Romanian)
- New runway at Iaşi International Airport
- 2014 Summer Schedule at aeroport.ro
- Topul aeroporturilor din Romania in 2012 (Romanian)
- Access to European funds and the strategy for 2010, priorities for Iași County (Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (Romanian)
- Proiect de hotărâre privind aprobarea structurii organizatorice ale R.A. “Aeroportul” Iași. (Romanian)
- Iași Airport flight timetable
- Curse RATP la Aeroportul International Iasi
Media related to Iaşi International Airport at Wikimedia Commons