Iași International Airport
|Iași International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Iași
|IATA: IAS – ICAO: LRIA
|Operator||Iași County Council|
|Elevation AMSL||397 ft / 121 m|
|14/32 (under construction)||2,400||7,874||Asphalt|
|Sources: Romanian AIP at EUROCONTROL, aeroport.ro, Aircraft movements data|
Iași Airport is one of the oldest accredited airports in Romania. The Iași region earned its commercial representative status on 24 June 1926, when scheduled flights were officialized on the route Bucharest – Galați – Iași and Chișinău. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, later LARES.
In 1966, a concrete runway, with a total length of 1,800 m (5,906 ft) and with a modern lighting system, was built. In 1969, a new passenger terminal, with a processing capacity of 85 passengers per hour, was raised.
In June 2012, a new passenger terminal (named Terminal 2), with a processing capacity of 130 passengers per hour, was added. The terminal is designated to be used for Schengen flights. The old terminal has been renamed Terminal 1, and only flights outside the Schengen Area operate here.
Current and future development
Iași International Airport has started a long-term, multi-stage upgrade program. Module I of the project (an estimated €60 million investment), planned to be completed in two stages, until the end of 2015, will involve the construction of a new 2,400 m (7,874 ft) runway, a terminal building with a processing capacity of 320 passengers per hour, and the extension of the apron. The contract for the construction of the runway was signed with Max Bögl Romania, and, on 7 August 2013, the construction works had commenced. The new runway is intended to be fully operational on 30 November 2014.
For the long term, the project would continue with the next stages for the construction, at the eastern side of the runway, of a new passenger terminal, a new apron, two rapid-exit taxiways, a cargo terminal, an aircraft fuel depot, a new access roadway, as well as of a 600 m (1,969 ft) extension for the runway (to a total length of 3,000 m (9,843 ft)).
Airlines and destinations
operated by Tyrolean Airways
|TAROM||Bergamo (begins 4 June 2014), Bologna, Bucharest, London-Luton, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion (begins 7 April 2014), Turin|
|Air Bucharest||Seasonal: Antalya (resumes 2 June 2014), Heraklion (resumes 11 June 2014)|
|Blue Air||Seasonal: Zakynthos (begins 16 June 2014)|
|TAROM||Seasonal: Antalya (begins 8 June 2014), Rhodes (begins 19 June 2014)|
Passenger destination map
Destination map: Europe
Traffic and statistics
In 2013, the airport served 231,933 passengers, a 33.9% increase compared to the previous year, partly due to the start of three new external routes (Bologna, London and Turin).
|Year||Passengers||Compared to Previous Year||Aircraft movements|
Currently, there is no public transportation from/to the airport. However, due to the recent increase in passenger traffic at the airport, RATP, the local public transport company, has plans to introduce a bus route operating from the city centre (Târgu Cucu area, where other connections are available) to the airport, at specific times of day, correlated with flight arrivals and departures. Depending on its viability, the service could later extend to Iași central railway station.
The distance from the city centre to the airport is about 7 km, and should cost around 15 RON.
- 2013 Project presentation
- EAD Basic
- Iași Airport in 2013 at aeroport.ro (Romanian)
- Press release for 2013 (Romanian)
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918-1945)
- A new terminal for Iasi International Airport
- Airport modernisation project
- Development and modernization - Module I (Romanian)
- Etapa a II-a a proiectului de modernizare a Aeroportului Iaşi a trecut de verificarea tehnico-economică (Romanian)
- Max Boegl Romania, contract de aproape 140 milioane de lei cu Aeroportul Iasi at traficmedia.ro (Romanian)
- Un an şi jumătate de lucrări pe Aeroportul Iaşi at ziarulevenimentul.ro (Romanian)
- Noua pistă de la Aeroportul Iaşi, gata de Ziua Naţională anul acesta at ziaruldeiasi.ro (Romanian)
- 2013 Summer Schedule at aeroport.ro
- Topul aeroporturilor din Romania in 2012 (Romanian)
- Access to European funds and the strategy for 2010, priorities for Iași County (Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (Romanian)
- Proiect de hotărâre privind aprobarea structurii organizatorice ale R.A. “Aeroportul” Iași. (Romanian)
- Curse RATP la Aeroportul International Iasi
Media related to Iaşi International Airport at Wikimedia Commons