Ian Bankier (born 1952) is the chairman of Celtic Football Club and executive chairman of Glenkeir Whiskies Ltd. Bankier began his career as a lawyer before becoming involved with a range of whisky companies culminating in his part ownership of the Whisky Shop chain.
Bankier was educated at St Aloysius primary school in Glasgow where Bankier said that in primary six his teacher would give them double the homework if Celtic lost and none if they won. Bankier then studied law at the University of Edinburgh before becoming a partner in the Glasgow law firm McGrigor Donald.
Bankier later became managing director of Burn Stewart Whisky Distillers in 1995 and oversaw the takeover of CL Financial. He became chief executive of the subsequent Whisky company CL World Brands before he later resigned from the company.
Bankier is currently executive chairman and part owner of Glenkeir Whiskies which operates the Whisky Shop chain, the UK's largest specialist retailer of whiskies. Bankier bought the business in 2004 with £1.5 million of his own money and in 2010 the business had 15 stores across the UK and an annual revenue of £6 million a year. In 2012 the company had expanded to include 19 stores in the UK.
Bankier initially joined Celtic as a non-executive director in June 2011 before becoming Celtic's 15th chairman in the club's history when he replaced John Reid in October 2011. After joining the board of directors Bankier stated "As a long-standing supporter of the club, I feel very privileged to be invited not only to join the board of Celtic, but later to become its chairman. I am looking forward to it tremendously and hope that my own contributions to the future success and well-being of this club will be as positive as those of my predecessors." In an outgoing statement John Reid stated that "Chairman of Celtic is a demanding role but Ian is someone of considerable experience and achievement."
- Wilson, Mark (5 June 2011). "Whisky chief Bankier to be new Celtic chairman after Reid calls time on four-year stint". Daily Mail (Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Presentation on official Celtic web page as of 30 June 2013
- "Ian Bankier to be new Celtic chairman when combative John Reid stands down later this year". The Telegraph. June 3, 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "CELTIC CONFIRM NEW CHAIRMAN". Sporting Life. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "John Reid bows out as whisky magnate Ian Bankier is the new toast of Celtic". The Scotsman. June 3, 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Bankier planning chain of whisky shops". The Scotsman. January 25, 2004. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "STRATEGY AND FUNDING MAKE FOR A FINE BLEND". The Express. June 6, 2007. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "Whisky Shop seeks to branch out in England". The Scotsman. January 9, 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "Store Locations". Whisky Shop Website. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Celtic chief warns of 'extinction' for Scottish football". BBC Sport. October 14, 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Whisky chief Bankier to be new Celtic chairman after Reid calls time on four-year stint". The Daily Mail. June 5, 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Ian Bankier replaces John Reid at Celtic Park". STV Sport. June 4, 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2011.