Lieutenant Colonel Sir Ian Frank Bowater, GBE, DSO, TD (16 December 1904 – 1 October 1982) was Lord Mayor of London from 1969 to 1970, the youngest son of Sir Frank Bowater, 1st Baronet (Lord Mayor from 1938 to 1939), and Ethel Anita Fryar.
He held the office of Lord Lieutenant of the City of London in 1939 and fought in World War II, gaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the service of the Royal Artillery (Territorial Army), for which he was decorated with the awards of Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) in 1945 and the Territorial Decoration (TD). He later became Sheriff of the City of London in 1965 and invested as a Knight in 1967. He also held the office of Lord Mayor of London between 1969 and 1970 and was invested as an Officer of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem (OStJ) and as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE) in 1970. He was also the Chairman of Bowater Hotels.
In 1966, Bowater received the Grand Decoration of Honour in Silver for Services to the Republic of Austria.
Marriage and issue
On 10 December 1927 he married The Hon. Ursula Margaret Dawson (1907 - 16 November 1999), a daughter of the Doctor to the British Royal Family, Bertrand Dawson, 1st Viscount Dawson of Penn, and Minnie Ethel Yarrow, and they had four children:
- Julia Bowater (d. 1932)
- Susan Vansittart Bowater (b. 26 August 1929), who lived in 2003 at 60 Clonmel Road, London, married on 5 May 1956 George Crofton Addison Doughty (b. before 1941), and had issue, one daughter and one adopted son
- Michael Ian Vansittart Bowater (b. 26 November 1934), who was educated at Eton and at Sandhurst, gained the rank of Major in the service of the Scots Guards, was head of communications for Bowater Group and lived in 2003 at 16 Rocky Point Road, Rowayton, Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut, married on 22 June 1960 Camilla Caroline Straight, and had four daughters:
- Arabella Charlotte Bowater (b. 13 July 1961), married in 1990 Carl W. Wend, Jr., son of Carl W. Wend, Sr., of White Plains, Westchester County, New York
- Katherine Elizabeth Bowater (b. 2 March 1963), married in 1998 Mark Beaumont, son of Michael Beaumont, and had issue
- Caroline Mary Bowater (b. 2 January 1965)
- Sophia Melissa Bowater (b. 26 November 1970)
- Charlotte Mary Bowater (b. 17 July 1937), married on 27 September 1961 Denis Anthony Russell (d. 30 July 1966), son of Major Denis Leslie Russell, of Burdenshot House, Burdenshot Hill, Guildford, Surrey, had:
- Amanda Charlotte Russell (b. 4 June 1963) and
- William Russell (b.15 April 1965) Alderman of the Ward of Bread Street and Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers.
- and married secondly in 1970 J. Watcyn Lewis, son of John Lewis, of Denison House, Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire, and had two sons:
- Damian Lewis (b. 11 February 1971) and
- Gareth Hugh Bowater Lewis (b. 25 January 1973))
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 456.
|Lord Mayor of London