|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Peterborough|
|Diocese||Diocese of Peterborough|
|Other posts||Area Bishop of Lewes
23 April 1945|
Sturminster Newton, Dorset
|Died||7 May 2009(aged 64)|
|Parents||Henry Martyn Cundy and
Kathleen Ethel Hemmings
|Spouse||Josephine Katherine Boyd
|Children||2 sons, 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Born in Sherborne, Dorset, on 23 April 1945, he was the son of Henry Martyn Cundy and his wife Kathleen Ethel Hemmings. He was educated at Monkton Combe School in Somerset and then at Trinity College, Cambridge where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in mathematics and theology in 1967, and obtained a Master of Arts. Cundy made his general ordination exam in Tyndale Hall, Trinity College, Bristol in 1969.
Cundy was assistant curate of Christ Church, New Malden until 1973 and subsequently lecturer and chaplain of Oak Hill Theological College in Southgate, London until 1977. A year later, he was nominated team rector in Mortlake and East Sheen, a post he held until 1983. Thereafter Cundy became Warden of Cranmer Hall, St John's College, Durham until 1992, when he was appointed area Bishop of Lewes in the Diocese of Chichester. He was enthroned as the 37th Bishop of Peterborough in 1996, where he remained until his death in May 2009.
Cancer and death
In November 2007, it was announced that Cundy was undergoing treatment for pleural mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer. In October 2008, he announced his intention to take early retirement in July 2009 due to ill health. Cundy died on 7 May 2009 at the age of 64, after collapsing on his way to a family event. He was survived by his wife, Josephine Katherine Boyd whom he married in 1969, and their children, two sons and one daughter. Following a Eucharist in Peterborough Cathedral, Cundy was buried, a week after his death.
Cundy lecture series
- Howson, Geoffrey (8 March 2005). "Obituary - Henry Martyn Cundy". The Independent. Retrieved 18 August 2009.
- "Obituary - Ian Cundy". The Times (London). 20 May 2009. Retrieved 18 August 2009.
- "Obituary - Ian Cundy". The Telegraph. 11 May 2009. Retrieved 11 May 2009.
- Townley, Peter (28 May 2009). "Obituary - Ian Cundy". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 25 June 1992. Retrieved 14 November 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 4 July 1996. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- "Bishop has rare type of lung cancer". Northampton Evening Telegraph. 7 November 2007. Retrieved 7 November 2007.
- Beacock, Kirsten (22 October 2008). "Bishop set to retire early to fight lung cancer". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Bishop dies on way to see family". BBC News. 8 May 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Staff, E. T. (8 May 2009). "The Bishop of Peterborough has died". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Beacock, Kirsten (20 May 2009). "Funeral of the Bishop of Peterborough". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 18 August 2009.
- Christ Church New Malden
- "Order of Service for the funeral of The Right Reverend Ian Patrick Martyn Cundy, 1945–2009" (PDF). Retrieved 18 August 2009.[dead link]