Ian Fried (screenwriter)
|Born||Nebraska, United States|
|Alma mater||USC School of Cinematic Arts|
|This section requires expansion. (February 2012)|
Fried was born in Omaha, Nebraska where he graduated from Westside High School.
Shortly after graduating from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, Fried's first screenplay, a fairy tale mash-up entitled The Ever After Murders was featured on Franklin Leonard's compendium of 2010's best unproduced screenplays, the Black List.
In late 2011, Fried's second screenplay Gaslight was also featured on the Black List. During the same month, Fried was featured on The Tracking Board's "best unproduced screenplay" roster, The Hit List. Shortly thereafter, Fried sold his first feature film pitch Spectral which was picked up by Legendary Pictures where it is currently in development for a tentative 2015 release.  In February of 2014, actor James Badge Dale was cast in the lead.
Following the surprise success of its horror movie The Woman in Black (2012 film), Exclusive Media’s genre arm Hammer Films purchased Fried's Gothic Horror Thriller, Gaslight. In Gaslight, Jack the Ripper, secretly imprisoned in a London insane asylum, is called upon to help Scotland yard solve a series if murders that share the iconic death brand: dual puncture wounds to the neck.
In late 2013, Fried teamed with producer John Davis (producer) and Davis Entertainment (Chronicle (film)) to sell his top-secret science fiction pitch Prism to Paramount Pictures for release in 2015.
During the summer of 2014, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures announced commercials helmer Nic Mathieu would make his feature debut directing Fried's screenplay for the supernatural action movie Spectral which will star James Badge Dale, Max Martini, Bruce Greenwood and Emily Mortimer. Described as a supernatural Black Hawk Down, Spectral centers on a Special Ops team dispatched to fight supernatural beings who have taken over a European city.
- "USC School of Cinematic Arts Alumnus Sells Spectral". USC School of Cinematic Arts.
- "The Black List 2010" from Deadline Hollywood
- "The Black List 2011" from Deadline Hollywood
- "The Hit List 2011" from The Tracking Board
- "Supernatural Action Project 'Spectral' Lands at Legendary Pictures" from The Hollywood Reporter
- "James Badge Dale In Talks to Star In Legendary’s ‘Spectral" from Variety
- "'Woman in Black' Producer Targets Scary Script 'Gaslight'" from The Hollywood Reporter
- "Paramount’s Insurge Pictures Picks Up Script 'Prism'" from The Hollywood Reporter
- "James Badge Dale In Talks To Topline ‘Spectral’". deadline.com. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Max Martini Joins Legendary’s ‘Spectral’ Thriller". deadline.com. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- June 2014 "Bruce Greenwood Joins James Badge Dale in Legendary's 'Spectral'". deadline.com. 18 June 2014.
- "Emily Mortimer in Talks to Star in Legendary's 'Spectral'". hollywoodreporter.com. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.