Sir Ian Derek Gainsford (born 24 June 1930) was dean of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, King's College London (1988–1997) and vice-principal of King's College London (1994–1997). He is president of the Maccabaeans.
Sir Ian was the son of Rabbi Dr Morris Ginsberg. He was educated at Thames Valley Grammar School, Twickenham, King's College London and at the University of Toronto.
- Junior Staff, King’s College Hospital, 1955–57
- Member of staff, Dept of Conservative Dentistry, London Hospital Medical School, 1957–70
- Senior Lecturer/Consultant, Dept of Conservative Dentistry, KCH, 1970–97
- Deputy Dean of Dental Studies, 1973–77; Dir of Clinical Dental Services, KCH, 1977–87 (Dean of Dental Studies, KCH Medical School, 1977–83)
- Dean, Faculty of Clinical Dentistry, KCL, 1983–87
- President, British Society for Restorative Dentistry, 1973–74
- Member: BDA, 1956– (President, Metropolitan Branch, 1981–82)
- President, American Dental Society of London, 1982)
- President, Western Marble Arch Synagogue, 1998–2000
- Honorary President, British Friends of Magen David Adom, 1995–
He wrote the standard textbook Silver Amalgam in Clinical Practice (1965, 3rd edn 1992)