Ian Livingston, Baron Livingston of Parkhead
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Livingston of Parkhead
|Livingston at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, 2013|
|Minister of State for Trade and Investment|
11 December 2013
|Preceded by||Lord Green of Hurstpierpoint|
|Born||Ian Paul Livingston
July 28, 1964
|Occupation||Chief Executive, BT Group|
Ian Paul Livingston, Baron Livingston of Parkhead (born 28 July 1964), is a Scottish businessman who is the outgoing chief executive of BT Group. He announced on 19 June 2013 that he is leaving BT to take up a new role as Minister for Trade and Investment in the UK Government, replacing Lord Green of Hurstpierpoint in the position. He became a member of the House of Lords as a life peer on 15 July 2013 with the title Baron Livingston of Parkhead. 
Early and personal life
The fourth generation son of Polish-Lithuanian Jews who arrived in Scotland 120 years ago, the family owned a factory that made flying jackets and police uniforms. Brought up in Kelvinside, his father is a retired General Practitioner who practised in Parkhead. The youngest of four children: his eldest brother is a Sheriff in Glasgow; the second a partner in an accountancy firm; his sister a professor of psychiatry in London. Livingston was educated at Hillhead primary School and the independent Kelvinside Academy, where he won a Royal Bank of Scotland fantasy share-investment competition, turning £10,000 into £30,000 in just 10 months.
After graduating with a degree in economics from University of Manchester at the age of 19, he trained as an accountant with Arthur Andersen, where, on assignment, he became the first chief accountant of The Independent newspaper. Livingston then moved to Bank of America, and then private-equity firm 3i.
After being spotted by Sir Stanley Kalms, he moved to the corporate development department of Dixons Group in 1991, before becoming the youngest FTSE 100 finance director at the age of 32. Under then CEO John Clare, Livingston became key in creating PC World and the broadband provider Freeserve.
- http://www.debretts.com/people/biographies/search/results/19468/Ian%20Paul%20Livingston%20LIVINGSTON%20OF%20PARKHEAD.aspx Debrett's (accessed 22 July 2013)
- "BT boss Ian Livingston faces tough calls". London: The Sunday Times. 2008-04-12. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "BT chief Ian Livingston quits to become trade minister". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Garside, Juliette (19 June 2013). "BT chief executive exits to become trade minister". The Guardian (London).
- "Introduction of Lord Livingston of Parkhead - News from Parliament - UK Parliament". Parliament of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "City Profile: BT's Ian Livingston". Evening Standard. 2008-07-16. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- Blackden, Richard (2008-04-08). "BT names Ian Livingston to succeed Ben Verwaayen". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Board of Directors
Media related to Ian Livingston at Wikimedia Commons