|Ian Mearns and Robin Hood tax at the G20|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
21 April 1957 |
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Born in Newcastle upon Tyne to a World War II veteran, Mearns was educated at St Mary's RC Primary School, Forest Hall and St Mary's RC Technical College in Newcastle. He worked for British Gas plc from 1974. He has been a member of Gateshead Borough Council since 1983. I
Mearns was elected to Parliament in 2010 with a majority of 12,549, in a Gateshead seat created by boundary changes.
Along with fellow new North Eastern MPs Ian Lavery and Grahame Morris, is perceived to be on the left-wing of the Labour party He was one of 16 signatories of an open letter to Ed Miliband in January 2015 calling on the party to commit to oppose further austerity, take rail franchises back into public ownership and strengthen collective bargaining arrangements
In Parliament he has served on the Education Select Committee and the Backbench Business Committee in the 2010-2015 Parliament. He also was a member of the bill committee for HS2, which he has criticised for treating residents of the north east other regions not served by the line as "lesser citizens"
In March 2013 Ian resigned as PPS to Ivan Lewis in order to defy the Labour whip and vote against the Jobseekers (Back to Work Schemes) Bill which retroactively changed DWP rules relating to mandatory unpaid labour schemes for the unemployed.
- "Democracy Live: Your representatives: Ian Mearns". BBC. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Official results from Gateshead Council
- "Threat to Royal Regiment of Fusiliers meets united front". The Journal. 10 September 2012.
- Jones, Owen (14 March 2014). "Yes, there is still life for the left after Tony Benn and Bob Crow". Guardian. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Eaton, George (26 January 2015). "The Labour left demand a change of direction - why their intervention matters". New Statesman. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Ian Mearns". Parliament UK. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Walker-Jou, Jonathan. "High speed rail will leave North East residents 'lesser citizens', warns MP". Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- The Jobseekers (Back to Work) Bill
- Ian Mearns MP - official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Gateshead
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|