Ian Taylor (sociologist)
National Deviancy Symposium and Critical Criminology
Taylor was one of the founding members of the National Deviancy Symposium and was one of the co-authors of The New Criminology: For a Social Theory of Deviance in 1973 along with Jock Young and Paul Walton, as well as later editing Critical Criminology with both of them.
- "[it] forcefully argued the need for parties of the left to take seriously the problems of crime"
Moving to Canada shortly after, he lectured at Carleton University before returning to become chair of Sociology at the University of Salford. On leaving Salford, he became the Principal of Van Mildert College, Durham until he retired due to illness.
Left Realism and Beyond
In 1999 he published his final book, Crime in Context after becoming Principal of Van Mildert College at Durham University, a role he stepped down from a year prior to his death due to his ill health.
- "The continuing legacy of that realist influence in this text are evident in two important respects. I have been concerned, first, 'to take crime seriously'... Secondly, I share with left realism a commitment to a 'realist' (as distinct from idealist) strategy with respect to the actual analysis of 'crime' (as both behaviour and mass-media representation)'
Publications and Articles
- Taylor, I. (1968) Football Mad: A Speculative Sociology of Football Hooliganism", NDC 1st Symposium (November)
- Taylor, I. & Walton, P. (1970) "Values in deviancy theory and society", The British Journal of Sociology, XXI (4): 362 - 74
- Taylor, I. (1971) "Soccer Consciousness and Soccer Holiganism" In: Cohen, S. (ed) Images of Deviance, Harmondsworth: Penguin
- Taylor, I. (1971) "'Football Mad' - A Speculative Sociology of Soccer Hooliganism" In: Dunning, E. (ed) The Sociology of Sport: a Selection of Readings, London: Cass
- Taylor, I. (1971) "Theories of action in juvenile correction facilities", Unpulished paper given to the First Anglo-Scandinavian Seminar in Criminology, Norway, September 1971
- Taylor, I. (1971) "The new criminology in an age of doubt", New Edinburgh Review, 15 (November): 14-17
- Taylor, L. & Taylor, I. (eds) (1972) Politics and Deviance, Harmondsworth: Penguin
- Taylor, I., Walton, P. & Young, J. (1973) The New Criminology: For a Social Theory of Deviance (International Library of Sociology), Routledge. ISBN 0-415-03447-7
- Taylor I., Walton P. Young J. (eds) (1975) Critical Criminology, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul
- Bianchi, H., Simondi, M. & Taylor, I. (1975) Deviance and Control in Europe, London: John Wiley
- Taylor, I. (1982) Law and Order: Arguments for Socialism, London: Macmillan
- Taylor, I. (1987) "Law and Order, Moral Order: The Changing Rhetorics of the Thatcher Government" In: Miliband, R., Pantich, L. & Saville, J. (eds) The Socialist Register, London: The Merlin Press
- Taylor, I. (1992) "The International Drug Trade and Money Laundering: Border Control and Other Issues", European Sociological Review, 8 (1): 181-193
- Taylor, I. (1993) "Driving the Vermin off the Streets", New Statesman and Society, (8 October): 16-18
- Taylor, I. (1994) "The Political Economy of Crime" In: Maguire, M., Morgan, R. & Reiner, R. (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Criminology, Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Taylor, I. (1997) "Free Markets and the Costs of Crime: An Audit of England and Wales" In: Walton, P. & Young, J. (eds) The New Criminology Revisited, Basingstoke: Macmillan
- Taylor, I. (1997) "Crime and Social Insecurity in Europe", Criminal Justice Matters, 27 (Spring): 3-5
- Ruggerio, V., South, N. & Taylor, I. (eds) (1998)The New European Criminology: Crime and social order in Europe, London: Routledge
- -Taylor, I. (1998) "Crime, market-liberalism and the European idea"
- Taylor, I. (1999) "Respectable, Rural and English: the Lobby Against the Regulation of Firearms in Great Britain" In: Carlen, P. & Morgan, R. (eds) Crime Unlimited: Questions for the 21st Century, Basingstoke: Macmillan
- Taylor, I. (1999). Crime in Context: A Critical Criminology of Market Societies, Oxford: Polity Press
- Jock Young's Obituary for Ian Taylor
- University of Durham Obituary for Ian Taylor
- Dave Harris's notes on critical criminology
|Principal of Van Mildert College, Durham