Ian Wallace (artist)
Ian Wallace, (born 1943 in Shoreham, England) is a Canadian artist, living and working in Vancouver, British Columbia. Wallace has been an influential figure in the development of an internationally acknowledged photographic and conceptual art practice in Vancouver since 1965.
Wallace has exhibited painting and photography nationally and internationally since 1965. He is known for juxtaposing monochrome painting and photography in a way that problematizes the differences between the two mediums, referencing aesthetic and social issues through themes of the studio, the museum and the street.
Education and teaching
Wallace taught Art History at the University of British Columbia from 1967 to 1970, and then at the Vancouver School of Art (now Emily Carr University of Art and Design) from 1972 to 1998, where he taught a contemporary art course titled Art Now that was one of the earliest to introduce the art of the recent past into the art history curriculum. As a professor, he has had a significant role in shaping the contemporary art scene. Through his emphasis on the importance of a knowledge of art history, his support for visiting artist programs, and his progressive courses that examined the common history of various media including film, photography, and painting, Wallace influenced a generation of artists emerging from the Vancouver scene, including members of the so-called Vancouver School of artists, Jeff Wall, Ken Lum, Stan Douglas, Roy Arden and Rodney Graham.
Ian Wallace was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in December 2012.
- Ian Wallace: At the Intersection of Painting and Photography, Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver and Black Dog Publishing, London UK, 2012
- Tropismes, Galerie Greta Meert, 2012
- Ian Wallace: The Economy of the Image, The Power Plant, Toronto, 2010
- Ian Wallace: A Literature of Images, Kunsthalle Zürich, Kunstverein für die Rheinlande und Westflen, Düsseldorf, Witte de With, co-published by Sternberg Press, 2008
- In the Studio: Ian Wallace, Vancouver: Charles H. Scott Gallery, 2007
- Ian Wallace: Clayoquot Protest, Sprengel Museum Hannover, 1998
- Ian Wallace: The Idea of the University, Vancouver: Fine Arts Gallery, University of British Columbia, 1990
- Ian Wallace: Images, Saint Étienne: Maison de la Culture, 1989
- Ian Wallace: Selected Works, 1970 - 1987, Vancouver: Vancouver Art Gallery, 1988
- Cirauqui, Manuel. “Philosophy Embodied Conversation with Ian Wallace”, Lapiz, Issue 264, 2010:26-49
- “The Monochromes of 1967 to 1968 and After,” CJ Press: Anthology of Exhibition Essays, 2006/2007, Catriona Jeffries, Charo Neville (eds.). Vancouver: Catriona Jeffries Gallery, 2008:81-93
- "Governor General Announces 91 New Appointments to the Order of Canada (Press Release)". Rideau Hall Press Office. 2012-12-30. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Ian Wallace on Art Flux
- Hauser & Wirth London
- Catriona Jeffries - Ian Wallace
- Ian Wallace at Kadist Art Foundation