Ian Williams (musician)
Ian Williams at the 2008 moers festival
|Associated acts||Battles, Don Caballero, Storm & Stress|
|Gibson Les Paul|
Ian Williams (born 1970 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania) is an American rock guitarist. He became noted for his finger tapping guitar playing in bands such as Don Caballero, Storm & Stress and currently in Battles.
In his teenage years Williams was drummer and vocalist for Pittsburgh-based band 'Sludgehammer'.
Williams joined Pittsburgh math rock pioneers Don Caballero as a second guitarist in 1992 until 2000. He had also played in the Chicago-based, avant-garde band Storm & Stress from 1997 to 2000. Williams moved to New York City in the early 2000s and formed Battles in 2002.
Williams is well known for his approach to finger tapping on guitar and uses Gibson's Echoplex looping system. His propensity towards guitar tapping allows him to accompany himself on keyboard at live performances, using one hand for each instrument.
Williams made a short cameo appearance in the 2000 movie High Fidelity as a customer in the music store (shortly after John Cusack's character announces, "I will now sell five copies of The Three E.P.'s by The Beta Band."). He also had small cameos in Heaven's a Drag and Bloodmoon, a 1997 martial arts action film.
(Battles: 2004 - 2010)
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88
- Native Instruments Kontakt 4
- Apple Mac
- Rack Mount Units
- Gibson Echoplex - w/Footswitch
(Battles: 2011 - Present)
- M-Audio Axiom 61 - X 2
As a band member
- Don Caballero - For Respect (1993)
- Don Caballero - Don Caballero 2 (1995)
- Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns (1998)
- Don Caballero - Singles Breaking Up (Vol. 1) (1999)
- Don Caballero - American Don (2000)
- Storm & Stress - Storm and Stress (1997)
- Storm & Stress - Under Thunder & Fluorescent Lights (2000)
- Battles — EP C / B EP (2006)
- Battles — Mirrored (2007)
- Battles — Gloss Drop (2011)
- Verbal Battles with Ian Williams at Tubafrenzy.org
- T&G25 #13 - Storm & StressChunklet. September 6, 2006