Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences
|Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences|
|Founder(s)||Prof. Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman|
|Purpose/focus||1. Hakim Zillur Rahman Library, 2. Hakim Karam Hussain Museum on History of Medicine and Sciences, 3. Hakim Fazlur Rahman Museum on Arts, Culture and Orientalism, 4. Publication division under Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee, 5. AIDS Cell, 6. Ibn Sina Shifa Khana, 7. Centre for Safety and Rational Use of Indian Systems of Medicine, 8. Ghalib Study Centre|
|Headquarters||Tijara House, Aligarh, India|
|Website||Ibn Sina Academy|
Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences (IAMMS) (Urdu: ابن سینا اکا ڈ می آف میڈ یول میڈ یسین اینڈ سائنسیز) is one of the Indian NGOs, which is registered under the Indian Trusts Act, 1882. Mohammad Hamid Ansari, former vice-chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, formally inaugurated it on April 21, 2001. Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India gave accreditation to the academy in 2004 and promoted it as 'centre of excellence' in 2008. Membership of the academy is open to anyone who has an interest in the academy's activities particularly on history of medicine and history of science. Being a charitable organization, donations to the Academy are also exempted from Income Tax under section 80G of the Income Tax Act 1961.
The founder president is Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman.
- 1 Aims and objectives
- 2 History
- 3 Facilities
- 3.1 Hakim Zillur Rahman Library
- 3.2 Hakim Karam Hussain Museum on History of Medicine and Sciences
- 3.3 Hakim Fazlur Rahman Museum on Arts, Culture and Orientalism
- 3.4 Publication division under Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee
- 3.5 AIDS Cell
- 3.6 Ibn Sina Shifa Khana
- 3.7 Centre for Safety and Rational Use of Indian Systems of Medicine
- 3.8 Ghalib Study Centre
- 4 Annual events
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Aims and objectives
- To promote studies in the works of physicians and scientists — particularly Ibn Sina and his contemporaries —
- To propagate and disseminate in public interest the useful knowledge concerning medicine, philosophy, science and technology, social and preventive medical science, hygiene and environment.
- To inculcate in the masses an active interest in useful information regarding science, hygiene and medicine with its advances as well as the frontier areas of research, inventions and discoveries therein and also to make proper utilization of mass media for propagation, dissemination and transmission of the same.
- To establish dialogue between different theories concerning useful knowledge including the diverse prevalent systems of medical science, methodologies and philosophies;
- To preserve artefacts on Indian culture, heritage and sciences including history of medicine;
- To strive for bringing about adjustment, integration and synthesis and to organize / sponsor educational programmes, seminars, symposia, workshops and conferences as well as to promote academic work of all kinds in order to advance and develop the medical science.
Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences is an extension of Majlis Ibn Sina, which was formed in 1965 under the aegis of Tibbi Academy. Majlis Ibn Sina was a sort of monthly discussion group. For instance, the first meeting of that Majlis was held to discuss typhoid.
Tibbi Academy was itself formed in 1963 at Bhopal. In a note on page 4, of the first book of Tibbi Academy, on Modern Times and Unani Medicine the author Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman announced the establishment of Tibbi Academy with its clear objective: “to publicise the theoretical principles and practical ideas of Unani medicine, to publish the text of standard works of Unani medicine and also their translations… further, a learned and research oriented monthly journal”.
From 1965 to 1970, a monthly journal with the title Al-Hikmat (in Urdu) from Delhi was published under the auspices of Tibbi Academy under the editorship of Syed Zillur Rahman Nadvi. The editor stated in the introduction of the first issue (May 1965, page 2) that the journal is being issued.
Further, besides the above-mentioned objectives, the editor listed a couple of additional objectives, e.g., “the search of manuscripts of the Unani medicine, their edition and publication, … to excite the feeling of the pressing need of Unani medicine literature, and to publish a standard book every year”. He lamented that despite the publication of 30-40 Tibbi magazines in India, no learned journal of Unani medicine is being published. He stressed that Al-Hikmat would be a purely scholarly journal not confined to Unani medicine: It would include some articles on basic sciences, that is, zoology, botany, chemistry, physics, astronomy and philosophy.
In 1970, Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman renamed the Tibbi Academy as Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee after his teacher, Shifaul Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif (29 April 1900–14 November 1970), former professor and principal of Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College, Aligarh Muslim University. The purpose of this memorial committee was the same as Tibbi Academy formed in 1963, except the widened scope of publications.
All these past establishments — Tibbi Academy (1963), Majlis Ibn Sina (1965) and Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee (1970) — merged and came under one trustee organisation, i.e., Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences in 2000. It was formally inaugurated on 21 April 2001.
Hakim Zillur Rahman Library
The library houses one of the most precious and valuable collection of 20,000 printed books, 500 manuscripts, some rare books, microfilms, compact discs and a large number of periodicals. Books in many languages like Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Sanskrit and English on subjects like History of Medicine and Sciences, Unani, Medieval medicine, Ilmul Advia (Pharmacology), Urdu Literature with special reference to Ghalib, Iqbal, Aligarh and Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, besides thousands of bound volumes of magazines are extant in this library.
The library is listed in the Directory of History of Medicine Collections, United States Department of Health and Human Services, National Library of Medicine, NIH.
Hakim Karam Hussain Museum on History of Medicine and Sciences
Karam Husain Museum on History of Medicine and Sciences is an academic unit with collections and exhibitions. The main theme is the history of health and disease in a cultural perspective, with focus on the material and iconographic culture of medieval medicine and sciences. The museum has categorically the pictures and busts of physicians belonging to Mesopotamia, Babylonian, Egyptians, Greeks, Arab and Indian civilizations. In addition, medical manuscripts, catalogues[disambiguation needed], medical philately, medical souvenirs, memoirs of physicians including Nobel laureates, etc., are preserved and exhibited.
Hakim Fazlur Rahman Museum on Arts, Culture and Orientalism
The museum has a large collection of coins, postage stamps, gemstones, paintings, engravings, watercolours, drawings, photographic print, utensils, garments including calico, busts, pens, memoirs and relics of some prominent personalities. In the museum, there are family collections like Prof. Syed Mahmood Husain Family Collection, Roohi Mabud Hasan Family Collection, etc.
Publication division under Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee
Before the existence of Ibn Sina Academy, publications were done under the aegis of Tibbi Academy, formed in 1963. The first book of the Tibbi Academy was Daur Jadeed aur Tibb (Modern Times and Unani Medicine). From 1965 to 1970, a monthly Urdu journal, Al-Hikmat, was published under the auspices of Tibbi Academy. Under the Shifaul Mulk Memorial Committee many more publications came into existence and are known to the world of history of medicine. The Memorial Committee and Tibbi Academy are now a part of the Publication Division of Ibn Sina Academy.
AIDS Cell of the academy is dedicated to improving lives, knowledge, and understanding worldwide through a highly diversified programme of research, education, and services in HIV/AIDS screening and prevention, care and treatment, reproductive health and infectious diseases. AIDS Cell is a partner member of Global Health Council (USA) and the AIDS-Care-Watch Campaign (Thailand).
Ibn Sina Shifa Khana
Centre for Safety and Rational Use of Indian Systems of Medicine
The academy took a novel task of improving the use of Indian originated drugs and their adverse reaction monitoring under the establishment of Centre for Safety & Rational Use of Indian Systems of Medicine (CSRUISM) in 2005. CSRUISM receives many adverse drug reactions of herbs, which were never reported earlier. These reactions for their causal relationships are assessed according to Naranjo algorithm and WHO causality categories.
Ghalib Study Centre
This centre was set up to study Urdu poetry particularly of Mirza Ghalib. The centre has a largest collection on Ghalibiat (things related to Ghalib). It has many books and periodicals especially ‘Ghalib Numbers’ issued in different occasions, particularly on Ghalib’s Centenary Celebration observed all over the world in 1969. In addition, there are hundreds of other poets’ collection, memoirs and writings.
- Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture: Courtesy, National Council for Promotion of Urdu Languages, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
Series of Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture: - First Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2006) by Saiyid Hamid (Delhi) - Second Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2007) by Syed Mushirul Hasan (Delhi) - Third Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2008) by Syed Shahid Mehdi (Delhi) - Fourth Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2009) by Irfan Habib (Aligarh) - Fifth Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2010) by Sadiqur Rahman Kidwai (Delhi) - Sixth Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2011) by Dr. Ahmad Abdul Hai (Patna) - Seventh Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (2012) by Moosa Raza (Villupuram, Tamil Nadu)
- Prof. M. Nasim Ansari Memorial Lecture on World Health Day: Courtesy, SEARO, WHO, New Delhi.
Series of Prof. M. Nasim Ansari Memorial Lecture: - First Lecture (2007) by Dr. Md. Tauheed Ahmad (Aligarh) - Second Lecture (2008) by Dr. M. Habib Raza (Aligarh) - Third Lecture (2009) by Dr. D. P. Singh Toor (Delhi) - Fourth Lecture (2010) by Dr. Syed Badrul Hasan (Aligarh / Bhopal) - Fifth Lecture (2011) by Prof. M. Hanif Beg (Aligarh) - Sixth Lecture (2012) by Dr. Syed Badrul Hasan (Aligarh / Bhopal) - Seventh Lecture (2013) by Prof. Arshad Hafeez Khan (Aligarh)
- Collection of the Canon of Medicine (Al Qanoon fi al tibb by Ibn Sina)
- Galen's influence on Islamic medicine
- Kitab ila Aglooqan fi Shifa al Amraz
- ‘Risalah al Nabidh’ dated 1745AD
- Imad al-Din Mahmud ibn Mas‘ud Shirazi
- Hakim Syed Karam Husain
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman (President)
- Mehdi Mohaghegh (Vice President)
- SM Razaullah Ansari (General Secretary)
- Syed Ziaur Rahman (Treasurer)
- Dawakhana Shifaul Amraz
- "Women's Health". International.
- "Essential Medicines". International.
- "CPTECH". International.
- "Climate Health". Health Prescriptions.
- Al-Hikmat, Issue of July 1965, Ed. Syed Zillur Rahman Nadvi, Tibbi Academy, Delhi,
- "Manuscripts Catalogues at Zillur Rahman Library". Microfilm Centre of India.
- "Manuscripts Libraries". Microfilm Centre of India.
- "Zillur Rahman Library". United States National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health.
- Newsletters of Ibn Sina Academy (NISA)
- Publication Division of Ibn Sina Academy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences.|
- Photographs at Picaso Web Picture Gallery, Ibn Sina Academy
- Intute Resources, UK
- The Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine at UCL, UK
- Science Societies in India, IndianScience, India
- Acronym, IAMMS stands for Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine & Sciences
- In 2001 the agreement was signed with the Indian Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences, Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan in Japan
- AIDS Cell, IAMMS, MSMGF Secretariat, AIDS Project, LA, USA
- AIDS Cell News, Global Health Council, USA
- Releasing Ceremony of a Collection of Poem "Goonj", A.M.U. News And Views
- Prof Nasim Ansari Memorial Lecture on World Health Day, Indian Muslims News and Information
- Ek Shaam Mushtaq Yousufi Ke Naam, AMULIVE News
- Students receive AMU Alumni Association Michigan Scholarship, AMULIVE News
- WHD Events at Ibn Sina Academy, Aligarh, India, World Health Day 2010, World Health Organisation
- Exhibition and Painting Competition on SS Day