|Point guard / Shooting guard|
February 3, 1984 |
Elizabeth, New Jersey
|Nationality||American / Bulgarian|
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||Elizabeth High School
(Elizabeth, New Jersey)
|NBA draft||2007 / Undrafted|
|Pro playing career||2007–present|
|2013||Petrochimi Bandar Imam|
Ibrahim Jaaber (pronounced Jabber) (born February 3, 1984) is an American-born naturalized Bulgarian professional basketball player. He plays both the point guard and shooting guard positions and is 1.88 m (6'2") in height. He plays for the Bulgarian national basketball team even though he is American.
As a former men's basketball player at the University of Pennsylvania, he won the Ivy League Player of the Year in his junior and senior years, in the process breaking the league's career record for steals (303) and finishing among the top pickpockets in college basketball (2nd nationally in steals his junior year and 3rd nationally in steals his senior year). With Mark Zoller, Ibby also led the Quakers to three straight Ivy League titles between his sophomore and senior years; he also played well in the team's three NCAA Tournament games getting 16 points against Texas A&M and 15 against Texas and he scored 21 points when Penn visited a top North Carolina team. Jaaber will go down as one of the best players ever to play for the Quakers and is the all time leader in steals at Penn and in the Ivy League.
Career college stats
- 2003-2004 (Penn): Pts: 6.5 Rbs: 2.4 Stls: 1.3 Ast: .6
- 2004-2005 (Penn): Pts: 11.5 Rbs: 4.6 Stls: 2.9 Ast: 2.8
- 2005-2006 (Penn): Pts: 18.2 Rbs: 3.4 Stls: 3.3 Ast: 2.2 (Ivy League Player of the Year)
- 2006-2007 (Penn): Pts: 15.9 Rbs: 4.5 Stls: 2.9 Ast: 5.2 (Ivy League Player of the Year, Big 5 Player of the Year, AP All-American Notable)
- Career: Pts: 13.3 Rbs: 3.8 Stls: 2.7 Ast: 2.8
Ibrahim Jaaber was not drafted by any NBA teams, but he played for the Detroit Pistons' Summer League squad from July 7–14, 2007 and he subsequently signed a contract to play professionally for a Greek League team called Egaleo ΒC. He then moved to the premiere Euroleague to play with Lottomatica Roma. In the 2010 NBA Summer League, he played for the Los Angeles Lakers. In August 2010 he signed with AJ Milano.
On January 30, 2013, Jaaber announced that he is leaving his former team Žalgiris Kaunas due to personal reasons. He also stated that he will not play for any other European team. Jaaber explained in a letter to the club he left Lithuania because he could not stand to see the dances too suggestive of Zalgiris cheerleaders and he disagreed with advertisements appearing on t-shirts team. "I am well aware that this might prevent me from earning money through basketball for the rest of my life, but I am willing to make this sacrifice because of my beliefs," he wrote.
Bulgarian national team
Jaaber plays internationally for the Bulgarian national basketball team.
- Armani Jeans Milano signs Ibrahim Jaaber "2012/10/10 Zalgiris Kaunas sign Ibrahim Jaaber".
- Jaaber leaves Zalgiris "2013/01/30Jaaber leaves Zalgiris".
- http://french.irib.ir/radioislam/info/ameriques/item/81064-basket-%E2%80%93-ibrahim-jaaber-joueur-musulman-quitte-son-club-pour-des-raisons-islamiques Muslim player leaves his club for reasons Islamic