Ibrahima Diallo (Paralympic footballer)
In December 2011 he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy after a physiotherapist, who also worked with the British Paralympic team, noticed his unusual running style during a training session for the English College's team at Lilleshall. Diallo had previously attributed his problems when running to tight muscle groups in his thigh.
In 2012 he was a member of the Great Britain team that won a silver medal at the 2012 Paralympic World Cup. The British team were beaten 4-2 by Brazil, the team ranked fourth in the world, in the final of the tournament which was held in Manchester. Diallo and Patrick Heselton each scored consolation goals for Great Britain after Brazil had taken a 4-0 lead. Diallo had also scored a hat-trick of goals in a 7-3 win over Ireland in the final group match which qualified the British team for the final.
He has been selected to represent Great Britain at the 2012 Summer Paralympics as part of a twelve-player squad for the 7-a-side football event. Great Britain are scheduled to face Brazil, the United States and Ukraine in the preliminary stage of the competition, with all matches being held at the Riverbank Arena in the Olympic Park, London.
Diallo is currently playing for Clevedon Town AFC.http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/clevedontown/s/the-team-6657.html?player_id=1149621
- "Ibz Diallo". London 2012. The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Ibrahima Diallo". British Paralympic Association. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Davies, Gareth A. (29 August 2012). "Paralympic's 2012: Ibrahima Diallo’s 'weird but brilliant' journey to become ParalympicsGB attacking force". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Chapman, Caroline (29 August 2012). "Paralympics 2012: Ibrahima Diallo's journey to London Games". BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Britain lift BT Paralympic World Team Trophy after silvers for basketball players and footballers". insideworldparasport.biz. 26 May 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Atkin, Nigel (25 May 2012). "BT PWC 2012: Barker and Diallo grab hat-tricks to send Britain into final". morethantehgames.co.uk. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "ParalympicsGB: Who will compete for Great Britain in London?". BBC News. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Great Britain Announces Paralympic Football Teams". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Football 7-a-side - Schedule & Results". The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited. Retrieved 22 August 2012.