Icelandic municipal elections, 2014
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Municipal elections took place in Iceland on 31 May 2014. 66% of eligible voters cast votes, the lowest proportion since Iceland gained independence.
Results in Reykjavík
|Social Democratic Alliance (Samfylkingin)||17,426||31.9||+12.8||5||+2|
|Independence Party (Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn)||14,031||25.7||–7.9||4||–1|
|Bright Future (Björt framtíð)||8,539||15.6||New||2||New|
|Progressive Party (Framsóknarflokkurinn)||5,865||10.7||+8.0||2||+2|
|Left-Green Movement (Vinstrihreyfingin – grænt framboð)||4,553||8.3||+1.2||1||±0|
|Pirate Party (Píratar)||3,238||5.9||New||1||New|
|People's Front of Iceland (Alþýðufylkingin)||219||0.4||New||0||New|
In total, 56,895 votes were cast. Of these, 2,024 were blank and 227 were unvalid.
On June 11th 2014, a coalition was announced of the Social Democrats, Bright Future, the Left-Greens, and the Pirate Party. Dagur Bergþóruson Eggertsson, of the Social Democrats, became the new mayor, while the Left-Green councillor Sóley Tómasdóttir became president of the city council and Sigurður Björn Blöndal of Bright Future became the city council chairperson. The coalition did not invite Progressive Party councillors onto the city’s councils and committees, with Sóley Tómasdóttir saying that the party was not “suitable” for the jobs; this has been taken partly to relate to the councillors' opposition to the Reykjavík Mosque.
- Kári Tulinius, 'So What's this City Election I Keep Hearing About?', The Reykjavík Grapevine (2014, issue 7), 8.
- After four years, Iceland’s notorious Reykjavik comic mayor leaves politics
- "Lokatölur í Reykjavík: Meirihlutinn fallinn". Vísir. 2014-06-01. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Paul Fontaine, 'Meet Reykjavík’s New Ruling Coalition', The Reykjavík Grapevine, June 12, 2014, http://grapevine.is/news/2014/06/12/meet-reykjaviks-new-ruling-coalition/.
- Paul Fontaine, 'Progressives Shut Out Of City Committees', The Reykjavík Grapevine, June 16, 2014, http://grapevine.is/news/2014/06/16/progressives-shut-out-of-city-committees/.
- Municipal Elections in 2014 RUV (Icelandic)