Iconix Brand Group
|Traded as||NASDAQ: ICON|
|Founder(s)||Neil Cole |
|Headquarters||New York, NY, The USA|
|Key people||Neil Cole, Chairman, President & CEO|
|Revenue||$400 million USD ( $80M FY 2011)|
Iconix Brand Group is an American brand management company that licenses brands to retailers and manufacturers primarily in the apparel, footwear, and apparel accessory industries. Its brands are available in such stores as Kohl's, Kmart, Sears, Macy's, Target and JC Penney.
The company began as Candie's, Inc., whose brand it purchased in 1993. The Bongo brand was purchased in 1998. The Badgley Mischka brand was purchased in 2004. The Joe Boxer and Rampage brands were acquired on July 22, 2005 and September 15, 2005, respectively. In 2006, the company acquired the Mudd, London Fog, Mossimo, Ocean Pacific brands on April 11, August 29, November 1, and November 6, respectively. The company continued with acquisitions in 2007 with the purchase of *Cannon, Danskin and Rocawear brands. On November 15, 2007, Iconix bought the Starter brand from Nike. On October 27, 2009, Iconix paid $109 million for a 51% stake in urban fashion brand Eckō Unltd. It acquired full ownership in May 2013.
On June 3, 2010, Iconix and Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates jointly acquired all assets related to the Peanuts comic strip from its longtime owner, United Media, using the property to form a new company, Peanuts Worldwide, which is 80% owned by Iconix and 20% owned by Schulz Associates. Peanuts Worldwide also acquired United Media's licensing arm, which represents licensing for its other properties.
Buffalo David Bitton
In February 2013, Iconix acquired control of the Buffalo David Bitton brand in an effort to expand into higher-end brands. Iconix paid Buffalo International ULC $76.5 million in cash for a 51% stake in the brand. Buffalo David Bitton was founded two decades ago in Montreal. The brand offers denim collections, apparel, outerwear, intimates and accessories. It is targeted to men and women aged 18-34 and is sold at Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Dillard's and Lord & Taylor, as well as at a New York City flagship boutique that opened January 2013 in SOHO. Sold in Canada, United States, Panama, Mexico, Russia and the UK.
- Badgley Mischka
- Buffalo David Bitton2
- Don Ed Hardy
- Eckō Unltd.
- Joe Boxer
- Lee Cooper
- London Fog
- Fashion brands by Madonna: 1
- Marc Ecko Cut & Sew
- Ocean Pacific
- Peanuts 2
- Royal Velvet
- Sandra Lee
- The Sharper Image
- 1 50% owner.
- 2 80% ownership, through Peanuts Worldwide.
- Iconix Brand Group Inc. at Bloomberg Businessweek
- Iconix Acquires The Remaining 49% Interest In Ecko Unltd., and Marc Ecko Cut & Sew
- PR Newswire (press release): "Iconix Brand Group Closes Acquisition of Peanuts", June 3, 2010.
- Global License!: "Iconix Forms Peanuts Worldwide", June 7, 2010.
- Iconix acquires The Sharper Image brand
- "Iconix Brand Buys Nike’s Umbro Soccer Unit for $225 Million" at Bloomberg.com, 24 October 2012
- "NIKE, INC. Announces Sale of Umbro to Iconix Brand Group". Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Iconix Brand Group Completes Acquisition of Umbro from Nike for $225 Million", Fashion Invest website, 4 December 2012
- Sun European Partners sells Lee Cooper for $72m
- Reuters UK (04 February 2013). "Deals of the Day 04/02/13". Reuters UK.