IcyHot is a topical rubefacient heat rub meant for relieving pains such as arthritis, backache, muscle strains, sprains, and cramps. IcyHot, produced and marketed by Chattem, now a subsidiary of Sanofi, is known for its dual action pain relief, claiming it is "Icy to dull the pain, and hot to relax it away". It comes in cream, a balm, a Chill Stick, and 8 cm x 12 cm patches. Recently, IcyHot has come out with sleeves, a Power Gel, Medicated Spray, and No Mess Applicator. Although IcyHot does make its user feel heat and cold, IcyHot does not actually heat or chill the area to which it is applied. Instead, IcyHot stimulates nerve receptors, causing the user to first feel cool, and then feel heat. These products generally contain Menthol or a combination of Menthol and Methyl Salicylate (topically for mild pain relief). The main ingredient is Menthol 10% (in the cream) which acts as a topical analgesic.
Other balms and topical pain relief aids
- Tiger Balm, heat rub used in Singapore & Scandinavia
- Mopiko, pain relief and anti-itch ointment used in Asia
- Deep Heat, heat rub used in UK, Ireland and Australia
- Flexpower, topical analgesic
- Salonpas, pain relieving products manufactured by Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc. from Japan
Companies that make topical pain relief aids
- Icy Hot Ointment. South African Electronic Package Inserts. February 2006.