Idaho Falls Regional Airport
|Idaho Falls Regional Airport
|IATA: IDA – ICAO: KIDA – FAA LID: IDA|
|Owner||City of Idaho Falls|
|Serves||Idaho Falls, Idaho|
|Elevation AMSL||4,744 ft / 1,446 m|
Idaho Falls Regional Airport (IATA: IDA, ICAO: KIDA, FAA LID: IDA) is a city owned, public use airport located two nautical miles (4 km) northwest of the central business district of Idaho Falls, a city in Bonneville County, Idaho, United States. It was formerly known as Fanning Field.
This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service facility. As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 148,584 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 138,957 enplanements in 2009, and 144,365 in 2010.
Facilities and aircraft
Idaho Falls Regional Airport covers an area of 866 acres (350 ha) at an elevation of 4,744 feet (1,446 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 2/20 is 9,002 by 150 feet (2,744 x 46 m) and 17/35 is 4,051 by 75 feet (1,235 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2010, the airport had 38,447 aircraft operations, an average of 105 per day: 74% general aviation, 19% air taxi, 6% scheduled commercial, and 1% military. At that time there were 169 aircraft based at this airport: 73% single-engine, 18% multi-engine, 4% jet, 3% helicopter, and 2% glider.
The airport terminal has been expanded twice and partially re-built once. The current terminal was built in 1959, expanded in 1982 and the boarding area torn down and retrofitted to accommodate smaller aircraft with jet ways in the mid-2000s. The previous terminal was designed with jetways for 737s, which stopped arriving in Idaho Falls after Delta discontinued service in 1998. The latest terminal expansion was completed in 2014. It allows TSA screening of baggage to occur out of view of passengers and allows airlines to again check baggage from ticket counters.
Food and beverage service
The airport has a restaurant and lounge, named Kathryn's. The restaurant serves basic American fare and is traditionally open for breakfasts and lunches Monday through Saturday. At other times, souvenirs, sundries and basic food are available at Kathryn's Snack Shack pre-security screening. Mornings from 5 to 8 am, Kathryn's Snack Shack only operates post-security on the second level of the airport with coffee, beverages and basic sundries.
The airport has struggled to maintain a restaurant operator in the past. The restaurant has previously been "Dolores' Place" operated by local restaurant critic Dolores Casella, "Das Kinder Haus" which served German food, and "Runway 21" (1991-1995) which tried to be an upscale steak house and coffee shop. The restaurant has been remodeled once in 1991 and a small fire broke out in 2008 while the restaurant was closed.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service to/from Idaho Falls Regional Airport:
|Allegiant Air||Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix/Mesa
|Delta Connection||Salt Lake City
Seasonal: Minneapolis/St Paul
|1||Salt Lake City, Utah||68,000||Delta|
|2||Denver, Colorado||47,000||Frontier, United|
|3||Phoenix, Arizona (AZA)||18,000||Allegiant|
|4||Las Vegas, Nevada||16,000||Allegiant|
|5||Los Angeles, California||4,000||Allegiant|
|7||Minneapolis/St Paul, Minnesota||3,000||Delta|
- Horizon Air started running non-stop service between Idaho Falls and Seattle in 2003 with their larger Q400 planes that hold 76 passengers, but discontinued the service in 2004. It reinstated non-stop flights to Seattle beginning October 25, 2008. The flights included a stopover in Bozeman, Montana. This service was discontinued as of August 23, 2009. On June 16, 2010, Horizon Air announced its intention to once again discontinue all service to Idaho Falls effective August 22, 2010. At the time, the airline was servicing Idaho Falls to Boise.
- United Airlines through SkyWest operating as United Express added service to Denver June 8, 2006.
- Allegiant Airlines added twice weekly service to Las Vegas in November 2005.
- Northwest Airlines started service between Idaho Falls and Minneapolis-St. Paul June 9, 2005. Service was discontinued after Northwest merged with Delta.
- SeaPort Airlines offered service between Boise and Idaho Falls starting in July 2011 after Horizon Air discontinued service. Due to issues providing maintenance on their aircraft and due to aircraft changes, the airline stopped service on December 31, 2011. The flight time increased from 1 hour to 1.5 hours.
- Big Sky Airlines started service between Idaho Falls and Denver in October 2002. Citing lack of demand, the airline discontinued service to Denver January 13, 2003.
- American Airlines discontinued mainline MD-80 service to Dallas in 1994. The service had started in December 1987.
- Republic Airlines (1979-1986) served Idaho Falls to Boise until September 1982. This service was in place since the West Coast Airlines era. After the airline decided to cancel service to the airport, two carriers expressed interest to airport manager Jim Thorsen. Horizon Air started servicing Idaho Falls in 1983.
- FAA Airport Master Record for IDA ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective August 25, 2011.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (IDA: Idaho Falls / Fanning Field)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Idaho Falls-Fanning Field". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- Post Register, "Shop Talk" column: Dolores' Place to close
- Post Register: East Idaho Digest Feb. 7, 1995
- Horizon Air will offer Idaho Falls, Seattle nights, Montana Associated Technology Roundtables, June 24, 2003
- Horizon Ending Pocatello Flights Jan. 8, Alaska Airlines press release, November 18, 2005
- Press Release: Horizon Air Bringing IDA Larger Aircraft, Bozeman Nonstops and More
- "Horizon Air Announces Changes to Fall Schedule" (Press release). Horizon Air. June 16, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2010.
- Post Register: Airport Adds Denver Flights
- Post Register: Northwest coming to I.F. airport, service to begin this summer
- Facebook.com - SeaPort Airlines status update
- The Oregonian, Portland: Seaport Airlines Raises Concerns in Some Communities, Hopes in Others
- KIFI-TV: SeaPort President Weighs In On Discontinued Flight
- Post Register: Big Sky Airlines Cuts I.F. Service
- Post Register, December 17, 2000 Air Passenger Numbers Still Gaining Altitude
- Post Register: American Pulls out of I.F.
- Spokane Spokesman Review: August 7, 1982 - Republic to drop 2 Cities
- Idaho Falls Regional Airport
- Photographs of Idaho Falls Airport
- Aerial image as of July 1992 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective January 8, 2015
- FAA Terminal Procedures for IDA, effective January 8, 2015
- Resources for this airport: