Idaho State Highway 38
|Maintained by ITD|
|Length:||23.438 mi (37.720 km)|
|West end:||North Holbrook Road / Stone Road in Holbrook|
|East end:||I‑15 in Malad City|
Idaho State Highway 38 is a 23.438-mile (37.72 km) east-west state highway located entirely within Oneida County in the southeast part of the U.S. state of Idaho. SH-38 runs from Holbrook east to Interstate 15 in Malad City. The highway is maintained by the Idaho Transportation Department.
SH-38 begins at an intersection with North Holbrook Road and Stone Road in Holbrook. The highway continues as an unsigned road northwest of the terminus, connecting to Idaho State Highway 37 in Power County; this section of road is closed in the winter. From its terminus, SH-38 heads east through a rural area within the Curlew National Grassland. It takes a more crooked route east outside of Holbrook, intersecting Arbon Valley Road. From here, the highway enters mountainous terrain, passing Holbrook Summit at an elevation of 6,104 feet (1,860 m). After passing through the mountains, SH-38 enters a rural area and passes through the community of Pleasantview. The highway turns northeast toward Malad City, passing the Malad City Airport. After entering Malad City, the route turns eastward, passing through a mixed residential and business district. SH-38 leaves the Malad City limits before terminating at Exit 13 of Interstate 15.
The route which is now SH-38 was marked as part of SH-33 by 1927. Between 1927 and 1937, SH-33 was changed to SH-37, and SH-38 was first designated on a route between Roy and Portneuf. By 1956, the southern terminus of SH-38 had changed to SH-37 east of Holbrook; the route continued north to Arbon via Buist, where it resumed its original route.
The entire route is in Oneida County.
|Holbrook||0.000||0.000||North Holbrook Road / Stone Road||Western terminus of SH-38|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "State Highway 38 Milepoint Log". Idaho Transportation Department. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- Idaho Transportation Department (2009). Idaho Official State Highway Map (Map).
- "Overview map of State Highway 38". Google Maps. Google, Inc. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- Rand Mcnally Company (1927). Rand McNally Junior Auto Road Map: Idaho (Map). http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~33769~1171485:Rand-McNally-junior-auto-road-map-I?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:rand%2Bmcnally%2B1927;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=41&trs=56. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Rand McNally Company and Texas Company (1937). Texaco Road Map: Idaho, Montana, Wyoming (Map). http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~23818~920003:Texaco-road-map-Idaho,-Montana,-Wyo?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:idaho%2Brand%2Bmcnally;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=6&trs=35. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Shell Oil Company (1956). Shell Map of Idaho and Wyoming (Map). http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212065~5500205:Shell-Highway-Map-of-Idaho--8-DD-19?sort=Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort&qvq=q:shell;sort:Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=34&trs=193. Retrieved 2011-05-21.