||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2013)|
|Invented by||John Goscha|
|Launch year||2008 (Founded 2002)|
IdeaPaint is a paint that can be applied to almost any surface and turns that surface into a dry erase writing surface. IdeaPaint is the first whiteboard paint and created the whiteboard paint category within the whiteboard market. IdeaPaint was invented by John Goscha in 2002 and was launched in 2008.
IdeaPaint was founded by John Goscha in 2002 while attending Babson College. While living in the E-Tower, a dorm for entrepreneurs at Babson, Goscha and the other students, including Andrew Foley and William Gioielli, would cover the walls of the dorm with large pieces of paper in order to write down their ideas. As the sheets of paper filled up with ideas, they would have to be torn down in order for fresh space to be created. These brainstorming sessions are where the idea for IdeaPaint came from.
Goscha invented the product in 2002 and attempted to develop the commercial version with a laboratory in 2003 after receiving seed funding from Babson College; however, after a year, the lab concluded that creating such paint was impossible. Goscha worked with a second lab beginning in 2005 after being encouraged by his roommate Alex Galperin. This lab also concluded that the product would be impossible to create. Goscha then enlisted the assistance of Marty Donbrosky at CAS-MI Laboratories in Michigan. Donbrosky and Goscha succeeded in turning Goscha’s invention into a commercial product. Donbrosky is also a listed inventor on several subsequent IdeaPaint patents.
IdeaPaint was first launched in 2008 at the NeoCon Trade Show in Chicago. It won numerous awards at the show and an additional $5 Million in financing was secured to manufacture and market the product.
IdeaPaint comes in two different formulas called "PRO" and "CREATE". Both are a double coat roller applied paint (CREATE can be sprayed as well), and can be painted over any smooth surface. "PRO" is the original most durable formula of IdeaPaint, carrying a lifetime warranty, its disadvantage is a concentrated odor during installation and soup-y consistency. "CREATE" their newer formula is ISO free and low odor. PRO comes in different colors such as white, open white, white sand, light gray, and light beige. CREATE comes in white, black and clear. With CREATE CLEAR colored walls can be made dry erase.
Awards and recognitions
In 2008, IdeaPaint was awarded the Best Innovation Award and the Best of NeoCon Gold Wall Treatment Award at the NeoCon Trade Show in Chicago. In addition, they were awarded the Grand Prize for Product Innovations in Unique Solutions by Buildings Magazine. IdeaPaint was also given honorable mention in the 2010 Annual Design Review by I.D. Magazine.
In 2011, IdeaPaint was awarded with the New England Innovation Award by the Small Business Association of New England (SBANE). This award is given to enterprises whom SBANE believes are potential “game changers” in their marketplace. IdeaPaint was also awarded as a Small Business of the Year by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce in 2011.
In 2011, IdeaPaint committed to giving away up to one million square feet of their product to schools across the United States. In May 2012, IdeaPaint also pledged to donate $25 to charity: water for every kit of “CLEAR” sold.
- Fast Company. "IdeaPaint: Turn Your Entire Office Into A Whiteboard". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Creative Outfitter. "IdeaPaint". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- IdeaPaint - About Us
- Inc. "How IdeaPaint Makes B2B Marketing Fun". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Google Patent Search. "AMBIENT CURE SOLVENT-BASED COATINGS FOR WRITABLE-ERASABLE SURFACES". Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Neocon Awards
- Mass Tech – Breakaway Ventures Coats IdeaPaint With $5M Series A Round
- Durability and Design. "IdeaPaint Expands Whiteboard Paint Line With Low-VOC Product "Create"". Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Swiss Miss. "IdeaPaint Clear". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Worcester Business Journal Online. "Ashland’s IdeaPaint Goes Clear". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Knoed. "Award:IdeaPaint". Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- SBANE – Small Business Association of New England. "SBANE Breakfast Series Kicks Off New Season with Painting Magic Into Profit". Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- SBANE – Small Business Association of New England. "The Innovation Awards". Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Tech Zone. "IdeaPaint Donates to charity:water". Retrieved 6 June 2012.