Round function of
|Designers||Pascal Junod, Serge Vaudenay|
|Key sizes||0-256 bits|
|Block sizes||64 or 128 bits|
|Best public cryptanalysis|
|Integral attack on 7 round NXT-64 with time complexity of 2237.4 and on 5 round NXT-128 with time complexity of 2205.6 by Wu Wenling, Zhang Wentao, and Feng Dengguo.|
In cryptography, the IDEA NXT algorithm (previously known as FOX) is a block cipher designed by Pascal Junod and Serge Vaudenay of EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland). It was conceived between 2001 and 2003, the project was originally named FOX and was published in 2003. In May 2005 it was announced by MediaCrypt under the name IDEA NXT. IDEA NXT is the successor of the International Data Encryption Algorithm (IDEA) and it uses an extended Lai-Massey scheme known for its robustness to cryptanalysis. It was mandated by MediaCrypt, a Swiss company owner of the distribution rights on IDEA and the patents of IDEA NXT. The IDEA NXT cipher is a family of different sub-ciphers with various blocks and keys size : Standard NXT64 (block of 64 bits, key of 128 bits, 16 rounds) and Standard NXT128 (block of 128 bits, key of 256 bits, 16 rounds). Variations of the Standard versions can be built (key of 0-256 bits, round numbers from 2-255). Also individual tables (sbox, permutation matrix) can be loaded, replacing the Standard table.
Mediacrypt states that IDEA NXT has two U.S. patent applications pending. (See links below.). The applications appear directed to key generation for the cipher.
The fact that IDEA NXT is patented and requires a license may influence the extent of its adoption, particularly given that there are viable public domain alternatives, e.g., AES, Serpent and the Twofish algorithm, and have no restrictions on them whatsoever.
- 256bit Ciphers - IDEANXT Reference implementation and derived code
- Mediacrypt homepage — IDEA licensor
-  Technical description of IDEA NXT.***
- FOX: a new family of block ciphers
- FOX algorithm implementation - a hardware design approach
- Wu Wenling, Zhang Wentao, and Feng Dengguo - Improved Integral Cryptanalysis of FOX Block Cipher
- BSD licensed C Software implementation of IDEA NXT
- U.S. Patent Application Pub. No. 2004/0247117
- U.S. Patent Application Pub. No. 2005/0053233
|This cryptography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|