Ideal School and College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Ideal School & College
আইডিয়াল স্কুল অ্যান্ড কলেজ
|Ideal School & College Monogram
হে রব আমার জ্ঞান বৃদ্ধি কর
Dhaka, 1000,1219, Bangladesh
|Principal||Dr. Shahan Ara Begum|
|Gender||Male & Female|
|Age range||5–18 (approx.)|
|Number of students||14000|
|Medium of language||Bengali, English Version|
|Campus size||2 Acre|
|Mascot||Books with Lightning Candle and Wreaths|
|Accreditation||Dhaka Education Board|
|No. of branches||3|
|Annual Magazine||Protyasha (প্রত্যাশা)|
Ideal School & College (Bengali: আইডিয়াল স্কুল অ্যান্ড কলেজ), also known as Ideal High School (its name up to 1990) or Motijheel Ideal School, is an educational institution in Bangladesh established in 1965. Although the school was set up to cater for the children of surrounding areas, students come from all parts of Dhaka.
In the SSC examination of 2008, it became the most successful school in the country in number of students achieving GPA 5. In 2009 it achieved the highest percentage of both GPA 5 and passing rate. Ideal School and College have three campuses around Dhaka in Motijheel, Banasree and recently opened in Mugda.
The school was founded on March 15, 1965. Following the inauguration till 1968 it was a junior school. In 1972 the school was converted into a high school. The students from the school participated in Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examination (O-level equivalent) for the first time in 1973.
During the first 25 years the school kept its growth as a high school only (10 years of formal education). Following the demand and the requests from the guardians, a college (11th and 12th year of formal education) for female students was added in 1991.
To make room for more students the administration opened a new branch on the occasion of the 30th anniversary in 1996. That branch started its activities at Rampura with 702 students. Faizur Rahman is the founder-headmaster of the institution.
- 1965: initiative taken.
- 1965: establishing year.
- 1968: turned on to Junior school.
- 1972: turned on to High school.
- 1973: students first participated on SSC.
- 1990: college section opened.
- 1996: start of a new branch in Rampura Banasree project.
- 2003: Establishment of English version.
- 2007: completion of a four-storied school campus for Banasree branch.
- 2010: construction started for separate campus for English version.
- 2011: June 8, new branch is opened at Mugda, Dhaka.
- 2012: authority decided to open English version on Banasree Branch.
- 2012: June 9, a regular committee has been formed by the direct vote of the guardians and teachers.
The institute has three campuses in Dhaka.
The Main Branch and College campus is beside Peerjongi's Majar and Motijheel AGB Colony. It was established on 15 March 1965 by the help of the people of AGB Colony. In 1980, President Ziaur Rahman granted 1.2 acres of this campus. There are six buildings.
- Main Building, 5 storied
- Science Building, 5 storied
- English Version Building, 5 storied (proposed 14 storied)
- College Building, 5 storied
- Academic Building, 7 storied (proposed 10 storied)
- Quarters, 4 storied
The second campus is in Banasree, Rampura. It was established in 1996 on 1.98 acres of school's own property. It started its class that year with 702 students in classes 1-8. There are three buildings.
- Main Building, 4 storied
- Old building, 1 storied tin-shed
- College building, (proposed 6 storied)
The third campus is in Mugda. The government granted 1 acre and 6 khatha land in 2010. It started classes with 1800 students on 20 March 2011. Classes are in a one storied tin-shed building. On 8 June 2011, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina laid the foundation stone of the Academic Building.
The school offers primary and secondary education for boys and girls even though it is non-co-educational. Generally boys and girls are split into separate shifts. Girls attend school in the morning shift while boys attend their classes starting from noon.
Teachers and professors
Motijheel Section : 200 teachers
- Morning shift: 77 teachers and English Medium: 22 teachers
- Day Shift: 80 teachers and English Medium: 21 teachers
- College: 66 course instructors
Banashree Section: 131 teachers
- Morning shift: 63 teachers
- Day Shift: 68 teachers
Mugda Section: 75 teachers
- Morning shift: 39 teachers
- Day Shift: 36 teachers
Like all other high schools the chief of the school section administration is the “headmaster” while there is “Assistant headmaster” in each of the shifts in each of the branches. They are selected by the principal from the veteran teachers. The chief of the administration for college section is the principal.
The principal of the institution is Dr Shahanara Begum and the assistant headmasters are:
- Mofazzal Hossain, Morning Shift - Motijheel
- Abdus Salam Khan, Day Shift - Motijheel
- Emam Hossain, English Version - Morning
- Eskandar Ali Biswas, English Version - Day
- S.M.Shahadat Hossain, Morning Shift - Banasree
- Moazzem Hossain,(Adhoc) Day Shift - Banasree
- Jahangir Alam,(Adhoc)English Version - Morning, Banasree
- K.M.Morshed,(Adhoc) English Version - Day, Banasree
- Kazal Kanti Barua, Morning Shift, Mugda
- D.M. Bakiullah, Day shift, Mugda
The governing body members are elected for two years by vote. The governing body’s members are:
- Mr Rashed Khan Menon, MP, Dhaka-08, Chairman.
- Mr Khandakar Mushtak Ahmed, Donor Member
- Mr S.M. Kamal Uddin, Representative of guardians (College).
- Mr Mahbubul Alam, Representative of guardians (College)
- Prof. Amzad Hossain, Representative of guardians (Secondary)
- Mr A.K.M. Asrafuzzaman Khan, Representative of guardians (Secondary)
- Mr Ahsan Ullah Manik, Representative of guardians (Primary)
- Mr Sohel Ahmed Siddique, Representative of guardians (Primary)
- Mrs Nargis Hossain, Representative of guardians (Reserved)
- Mr Mohammad Ferdous, Representative of teachers (College)
- Mr Abdus Salam Khan, Representative of teachers (School)
- Dr.Shahanara Begum, Secretary.
- BNCC (Bangladesh National Cadet Corps): the school's BNCC team opened in 1982. It is the 2nd platoon of Alpha Company, 4 Ramna Battalion. It is the only private educational institute in Bangladesh with a BNCC platoon. Eleven students have got CUO (Cadet Under Officer) till 2011
- Scouting: the institute’s scout group is the 27th team of Bangladesh Scout, Dhaka Metropolitan. It consists of three cub team, three scout team, two girl cub and two girl scout team. They have participated in national and international scout events. The institute has the highest number of President Award and Shapla Cub Award achievers in Bangladesh with 35 President Awards and 40 Shapla Cub Awards.
- Games and sports
- Debating:IDC (Ideal Debating Club)
- English Society
- ISTARC (Ideal Science and Technology Aiming Research Council)
- Protyasha (Bengali: প্রত্যাশা): The school magazine is named Protyasha (Bengali: প্রত্যাশা), which means "expectations". The school publishes it annually with stories, articles, poems and writings from students, teachers and associates. It carries the results of the students in public examinations. It is published in Bengali and English.
- PRISM: Science Club. ISTARC publish its yearly magazine PRISM containing science based articles, stories, and pictures.
- AURITRO: The Ideal Debating Club publish their annual souvenir Auritro (Bengali: অরিত্র) on their yearly festival.