Idiap Research Institute
|CHF 9 million (2008)|
|Istituto Dalle Molle di Intelligenza Artificiale Percettiva
Institut Dalle Molle d'intelligence artificielle perceptive
The Idiap Research Institute is a semi-private non-profit research institute at Martigny in the canton of Valais, in south-western Switzerland. It conducts research in the areas of speech processing, computer vision, information retrieval, biometric authentication, multimodal interaction and machine learning. The institute is affiliated with the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), and with the University of Geneva.
The institute was founded as the Istituto Dalle Molle di Intelligenza Artificiale Percettiva (French: Institut Dalle Molle d'intelligence artificielle perceptive) in 1991 by the Italian entrepreneur Angelo Dalle Molle through the Fondation Dalle Molle, in collaboration with the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne and with local, cantonal and federal government bodies. Its purpose was to investigate the application of artificial intelligence to human perception in general, and to recognition and analysis of patterns in particular. In 1996, with the participation of the town of Martigny, the canton of Valais, the EPFL, the University of Geneva and Swisscom, it became a research foundation independent of the Dalle Molle foundation, and shortly after changed its name to Idiap Research Institute.
Idiap is one of four Swiss research organisations founded by the Dalle Molle foundation, of which three are in the field of artificial intelligence.
- Fondation de l'Institut de Recherche Idiap (Foundation of the Idiap Research Institute) (in French). Confédération suisse: répertoire électronique des fondations. Accessed September 2014.
-  Research centres in Valais
-  Education, research and innovation 2008–2011
- Research Institute Idiap, Martigny. Fondation Dalle Molle. Accessed September 2014.
- The Swiss National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) on Interactive Multimodal Information Management (IM2). Idiap Research Institute. Accessed September 2014.
- Idiap Research Institute
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- IM2 Interactive Multimodal Information Management
- International Create Challenge - startup accelerator program