If Looks Could Kill (film)
|If Looks Could Kill|
|Directed by||William Dear|
|Produced by||Neil Meron
|Screenplay by||Darren Star|
|Story by||Fred Dekker|
|Music by||David Foster|
|Editing by||John F. Link|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Running time||88 min.|
Eighteen year-old Michael Corben (Richard Grieco) of Detroit, Michigan is a slacker. Rather than attending his high school French class, he spends all of his time drinking and partying, until come graduation when all of his debauchery catches up to him and he learns that he cannot graduate without a French credit. He has only one more chance to obtain the credit: the French teacher, Mrs. Grober (Robin Bartlett), and the French Club are headed to France for summer school, and Michael must accompany them and participate if he wants to graduate next summer.
However, at the airport, a CIA agent also named Michael Corben (David McIlwraith) who is on his way to France as well, is killed by the assassin Ilsa Grunt (Linda Hunt), henchwoman and surrogate mother of the villainous Augustus Steranko (Roger Rees) who seeks to steal all of the gold in Europe and use it to mint his own coins under the guise of a common currency. Because important details about the agent's identity (including his actual age) have been kept meticulously secret, Michael is mistaken for the CIA agent. He is inexplicably boarded first class on his flight to Paris, and upon arrival is whisked away by British Intelligence.
The late Agent Corben's mission had been to protect Augustus Steranko, who (being not suspected to be evil) has been murdering European finance ministers (including the late Jacques Lefevre) as part of his plan. After some efforts to explain that he isn't the Corben they think he is, Michael agrees to play along once it becomes apparent that he will be allowed to utilize high-tech gadgets, including X-ray glasses, exploding chewing gum and LA Gear sneakers with suction cups, as well as a Lotus Esprit. At first, he enjoys the thrilling adventures the life of a spy provides, but begins to rethink his decision once his life begins being endangered by Steranko's deadly assassins, including Zigesfeld (Tom Rack), a henchman with a prosthetic gold hand, and Areola Canasta (Carole Davis), who kills her victims using her poisonous pet scorpion.
Steranko however captures Michael's teacher and classmates and holds them all hostage at his remote castle stronghold, and now Michael teams up with a girl his own age named Mariska (Gabrielle Anwar), the daughter of Agent Blade (Roger Daltrey) whom Steranko and his gang murdered, to bring the villains down and save his friends as well as all of Europe's gold. Despite being briefly captured and imprisoned by Steranko's men, Michael escapes, rescues Mrs. Grober and his friends, and battles and defeats Zigesfeld in the film's climax.
Steranko, his duplicit nature exposed by Michael, kidnaps Mariska and attempts to escape with his gold in his Eurocopter Ecureuil helicopter. Michael manages to rescue Mariska, and Steranko is subsequently killed when he falls out of the helicopter, and it and the onboard gold supply both drop on him. Afterwards, Mrs. Grober agrees to give Michael the French credit.
- Richard Grieco – Michael Corben
- Roger Rees – Augustus Steranko, a leader of European Economic Community.
- Linda Hunt – Ilsa Grunt
- Robin Bartlett – Patricia Grober
- Gabrielle Anwar – Mariska Blade
- Geraldine James – Vendetta Galante
- Michael Siberry – Derek Richardson
- Tom Rack – Zigesfeld
- Carole Davis – Areola Canasta
- Frederick Coffin – Lieutenant Colonel Larabee
- Roger Daltrey – Blade
- Oliver Dear – Kent
- Cynthia Preston – Melissa Tyler
- Michael Sinelnikoff – Haywood
- Travis Swords – Kelly
- Gerry Mendicino – Herb Corben
- Fiona Reid – Marge Corben
- Michael Vinokur – Brad Corben
- David McIlwraith - Agent Michael Corben
- Gene Mack – Agent Kramer
- Jacques Tourangeau – Jacques Lefevre
|If Looks Could Kill|
|Soundtrack album by various artists|
|Released||March 15, 1991|
- "If Looks Could Kill (No Turning Back)" - Glenn Medeiros
- "One Hot Country" - The Outfield
- "Loud Guitars, Fast Cars and Wild, Wild Livin'" - Contraband
- "One Mo' Time" - Trixter
- "Better the Devil You Know" - Kylie Minogue
- "Teach Me How to Dream" - Robin McAuley
- "All Is Fair" - The Fixx
- "Maybe This Time" - The Stabilizers
- "My Saltine" - Bang Tango
- "Michael Corben's Adventure" - Bill Ross
The movie was not a box office success.
- "If Looks Could Kill". Variety. 1990-12-31. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Ebert, Roger. "If Looks Could Kill". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Kensley, Rita (1991-03-15). "'If Looks Could Kill'". Washington Post. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Broeske, Pat H. (1991-03-19). "THREE-DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE : 'Lambs' Is Still Roaring". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- If Looks Could Kill at the Internet Movie Database
- If Looks Could Kill at allmovie
- If Looks Could Kill at Box Office Mojo
- If Looks Could Kill at Rotten Tomatoes